Monday, September 6, 2010

Classic Low Back Chair

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to show you some of the furniture that I've re-done for my craft room. I'll eventually have my big reveal, sorry to tease you with it but the truth is, It's not all the way finished yet. :) So for now you'll just have to settle for a few little tastes.


The first of which is, my pretty new low back chair!

It never ceases to amaze me how a little paint and a great fabric can completely transform something. This chair was dumpy and forgettable, and now it's classic and stylish, I love it!!


Picnik collageba.jpg


The before, blah all around.


IMG_5536.jpg


I removed the cushion and gave the frame a good scrub and a light sanding.


IMG_6380.JPG


Then a little primer...


IMG_6381.JPG


and Ivory spray paint by Valspar.


IMG_6383.JPG


The cushion that was originally on the seat was completely compacted so that it was now far from cushy. So I decided to cover the oldest layer of fabric that was holding this stuffing in with a new layer of foam and a new fabric. I didn't have a staple gun, so I opted to nail it down. If you're thinking to yourself, "That's now really the easiest way to go about that," let me just say that I agree with you wholeheartedly! It got the job done, but this may be a better option for people who aren't perfectionists.


IMG_6387.JPG


I don't know, how do you feel about a little bit of a scalloped edge? I couldn't handle it very well, decided that this would not be the project that would cure me of my perfectionist tendencies, and borrowed a staple gun from my neighbor asap to try to rectify the situation.


IMG_6392.JPG


I then just re-attached the cushion to the frame and was done.


IMG_6458.JPG


I opted not to roughed up any of the edges for the shabby chic look that I usually go for, and tried to keep it just chic. But if I change my mind, that look is only a few minutes with a medium grit sandpaper away. It's good to have options.


IMG_6472.jpg


Again, with my before and after. SUCH a big improvement!!


Picnik collageba.jpg


Did you notice I used the same color scheme and fabric as on my clothesline photo display? But you already knew that was in my craft room so I'm not giving much away.


IMG_5100.jpg


I'll be linking this up to these great parties, check them out!!


Happy Labor Day! See you next Monday!


E1025F317CFB5B8E9E5C526E5CC0F475 copy.png

24 comments:

Nancy September 6, 2010 at 6:42 AM  

I love the style of that chair. It reminds me of a vanity chair my Mom had. I like the fabric you chose. Nice makeover! I am redoing my craft room and I will be painting my old dining room hutch to use as fabric storage. I would love it if you would pop over to my blog and give me an opinion.

Jessica September 6, 2010 at 7:47 AM  

LOVE this chair re-do. Now I want to go and find an old chair just to try something like this! Thanks so much for the idea!
:) Jess
www.gardenpatchadventures.com

Patrice September 6, 2010 at 8:43 AM  

Very cute! Love it.

Lessons Learned September 6, 2010 at 9:29 AM  

that chair is an awesome find!

Lessons Learned September 6, 2010 at 9:29 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi September 6, 2010 at 11:51 AM  

looks great! that fabric is gorgeous!!

Jessica Marie September 6, 2010 at 5:06 PM  

VERY VERY VERY PRETTY! Nice job!

Jessica September 6, 2010 at 5:13 PM  

That is such a neat chair!

Kate September 7, 2010 at 10:21 AM  

What an interesting little chair! I really love what you did with it, and it's so unique! Great job!

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple September 7, 2010 at 1:39 PM  

So cute, I really love that fabric!

Cecily September 7, 2010 at 10:12 PM  

Oh my goodness. It's fab! Love it!

Meghan September 8, 2010 at 12:18 AM  

I love the lines on the chair. Great job on the makeover.

Meghan September 8, 2010 at 12:18 AM  

I love the lines on the chair. Great job on the makeover.

Nina @ Momma Go Round September 8, 2010 at 4:18 PM  

OMG that is amazing! Where did you get that awesome fabric?

LOVE LOVE LOVE!

mle September 8, 2010 at 9:36 PM  

I love the fabric you chose! It's always amazing how paint makes such a difference! The chair looks great : )

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home September 8, 2010 at 9:40 PM  

Your bench turned out really pretty!!

Ashley Houck September 9, 2010 at 10:59 AM  

Erin,

I love this!! I have a chair EXACTLY like this and you just gave me the courage to do it! :-) come check me out I just did a post on my craigslist love of selling stuff! :-)

{The Appraiser's Wife}
www.rahouck.blogspot.com

Susan September 9, 2010 at 10:13 PM  

AWESOME JOB ON THE CHAIR!

Laura @ House of Thrifty Decor September 9, 2010 at 10:33 PM  

What a great chair! I love the damask material, great choice! Please stop by my blog on Sunday for my Show Off Sunday Party. I would love for you to share this project with my followers. Thanks :)

http://houseofthriftydecor.blogspot.com/

April@The 21st Century Housewife September 10, 2010 at 4:47 AM  

What a metamorphosis - your chair looks beautiful now! It's hard to believe how it looked when it started you've made it SO much nicer.

Suzanne@Meridian Road September 10, 2010 at 8:47 AM  

That's so cute! I would have walked right by that chair before the re-do. Well done!

Sassy Sites! September 10, 2010 at 11:38 AM  

Thanks for joining our blog hop over at Sassy Sites! There are some amazing blogs out there, and you are definitely one of them! I'm a follower of yours too! Happy Friday! xoxo

Marni @ Sassy Sites!

Andi September 11, 2010 at 6:57 AM  

What a transformation! And I can completely relate to the perfectionist thing :-) I would have done the same thing! I have some of that fabric too...can't wait to see the whole makeover.

Kitty Deschanel September 12, 2010 at 5:29 AM  

This looks so cute! What a terrific little chair you have here. If you have a free moment, I have a new weekly (I hope!) Linky on my blog called Not “Baaad” Sundays with LambAround. I’d love for you to post one of your projects :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails