Monday, September 13, 2010

Jute Webbing to Fall Planter

I apologize to those of you who thought you might find more craft room projects today, as had I promised last week. But this idea popped into my mind at the beginning of the week and I couldn't restrain myself from trying it out. Then it ended up coming out so well that I couldn't help but share it a little earlier than later. Hope you don't mind too much!

IMG_6673.jpg

I saw this jute webbing in JoAnns a few weeks ago and just feel in love with the beautiful texture and the fun red thread running throughout. I bought a few yards, unsure of what I would use it for, but knowing that it would end up somewhere. I kept envisioning how cool it would look all intertwined, but just didn't know exactly what I would do with it. Then I remembered this old cooler. You probably have one lying around somewhere in your garage or basement, and if not, check your parents or grandparents' garage or basement-they're the types of things that always seem to be just lying around somewhere. Or buy one at your gas station, they're cheap.

IMG_6587.jpg

I ran lengths of the jute webbing down the sides of the cooler under the bottom and up the other side, keeping it slightly loose the whole time, and secured the ends with pins.

Picnik collage1.jpg

I made sure that the pins were pushed into the cooler at a downward angle as opposed to straight in. This kept them from pulling out as I wove the webbing.

IMG_6599.JPG

I then ran a length of webbing down the shorter side of the cooler, weaving it through the bottom pieces and then up the other side, again, securing with pins.

Picnik collage2.jpg

I took a length of webbing and wrapped it around the outside of the cooler, and trimmed it for length. I then pinned the end underneath one of the pieces of webbing that was running vertically down the cooler, and then weaved it under and over the other pieces until I had worked my way all the way around.

Picnik collage3.jpg

I trimmed the webbing so that both ends would be hidden under the same vertical piece of webbing and pinned them in place.

IMG_6630.JPG

Now that my basket was completely woven, I took the slack out of the lengths of webbing. I started with the vertical pieces, adding a second pin at the top for extra support, pulled each strand until it was taut, and then re-secured the end with pins.

IMG_6618.JPG

I then moved onto the pieces that were running horizontal on the cooler. I grabbed my glue gun, and glued the ends of the horizontal webbing to the vertical strand that they were hiding behind, pulling them taut and trimming as necessary. Now that my whole basket was assembled, I took my glue gun and ran a thin line of glue behind any pieces that were pocketing to get them to lie completely flat.

Picnik collage4.jpg

I then got my fabric stiffener and applied a thick layer with a sponge brush. I didn't worry about it soaking through to the bottom layer, I just focused on getting the top layer saturated. I left the top ends (where the pins were) without any stiffener, because I wanted to fold those down later. But everything else got a good dose. (The red dye from the red yarn ran a little bit, so I tried to apply the stiffener in the direction of the pattern, as to not spread red dye over top of the brown webbing.)

IMG_6635.JPG

When everything was dry I discovered that I couldn't pry the cooler out, so I decided to just break it off piece by piece. It was really secure in the bottom corners, and I was worried about warping the now stiffened jute webbing that I had worked so hard on! Luckily I won't miss that cooler.

Picnik collage6.jpg

I left the bottom piece intact, because I want to use the basket as a planter, and want to protect the bottom of the basket from any excess water that runs out of the plants.

IMG_6656.JPG

I layered up a fun red vignette and popped it onto my front porch. Hello fall!

IMG_6663.jpg

The size of the cooler, and therefore the basket, was perfect for 2 small mums, which were perfect for my front porch. But it's lightweight and fun enough to be used in the house as well.

IMG_6660.JPG

In retrospect, had I known that I was going to be throwing the cooler away at the end of this project, I probably would have just covered the entire thing in webbing, hot gluing it onto the cooler as I went, and then I wouldn't have needed any fabric stiffener. But the basket would be larger, and a bit bulkier too. Oh well, just a few more options for you I guess. :)

IMG_6684.jpg

I'll be linking this around to these great parties this week. Check them out for some beautiful fall inspiration.


Visit thecsiproject.com

And check back with us later this week for a great giveaway!

See you next Monday!!


E1025F317CFB5B8E9E5C526E5CC0F475 copy.png

48 comments:

Jessica September 13, 2010 at 6:56 AM  

Wow Erin! Such a great idea..the mums look gorgeous inside. A must try for me!

Lessons Learned September 13, 2010 at 6:58 AM  

i love that jute!!! i'm going to have to go to joann's today!

Handbags*and*Pigtails September 13, 2010 at 7:46 AM  

I love how this turned out! Its perfect for fall:) Ive seen the jute at Joanns before and always liked it but could never come up with any uses for it.

Lavender and Linen September 13, 2010 at 8:36 AM  

Erin, this is the neatest idea!

You are so creative! I love it!

Unknown September 13, 2010 at 9:16 AM  

Ahhh! I LOVE this idea! I have a length of this webbing that's been sitting in my craft closet for a while now with no idea how best to use it! I am going to have to make a basket of my own and have a perfect spot in my kitchen for it! Thanks for sharing your brilliance!

Mary September 13, 2010 at 9:55 AM  

Really cool idea! Love those colors!

Tiffany September 13, 2010 at 10:33 AM  

Genius. Again. LOVE this! So clever. The jute is so great and makes a perfect planter. And I love the red vignette you created for your front porch. It looks very fall and very fun! Thanks for sharing this awesome idea! : )

Tanya September 13, 2010 at 11:44 AM  

Such a cute idea...You are very creative!

Practically Spent September 13, 2010 at 6:37 PM  

Oh my goodness! How creative!! (Love the look too.)

Karie September 13, 2010 at 7:03 PM  

What a cleaver idea. Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Angie September 13, 2010 at 11:36 PM  

Awesome project! Love it!!!

Patrice September 14, 2010 at 6:20 AM  

This really turned out great! I love the idea, and the colors look just perfect on your front porch!

KarenB September 14, 2010 at 10:53 AM  

I have some of that webbing that I used for Christmas last year! This turned out fabulous. I may have to give it a try. Thanks for the great idea!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses September 14, 2010 at 1:26 PM  

I love the final look ... what a fun way to use the webbing!

Missy September 14, 2010 at 1:46 PM  

Great job! I've seen this webbing at Hobby Lobby for over a year and just haven't decided what to do with it yet! This may just be it!
Thanks for sharing!

Unknown September 14, 2010 at 5:33 PM  

L.o.v.e. this idea! Love the webbing and the construction. Adorable! Genius!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful September 14, 2010 at 9:53 PM  

Genius....absolutely genius!!! I am in love with this project.

Thanks for linking up with us over at The CSI Project this week.

~Amanda

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design September 15, 2010 at 12:14 AM  

Very cool! Love how this turned out, great job!

Fowl Single File September 15, 2010 at 8:20 AM  

I love the way the webbing looks all woven together...great idea! The mums are lovely, too.

Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. September 15, 2010 at 3:16 PM  

Okay, that is just tooo smart!

XO
Lenore

Jill September 15, 2010 at 4:13 PM  

Wow. What a great idea! You'd never know there was a cooler under all that!

I'd love for you to come and join my Fall link party next Friday (Sept. 24) and stop by because I'll be posting fall projects all week and featuring others too!

~JILL
http://envirocraftiness.blogspot.com/2010/09/fall-week.html

Laura @ House of Thrifty Decor September 15, 2010 at 4:44 PM  

Thanks for stopping by my Show Off Sunday Party. I look forward to seeing you next Sunday!!

http://houseofthriftydecor.blogspot.com/2010/09/show-off-sunday-party.html

Kate September 15, 2010 at 5:28 PM  

What a great way to use jute webbing! I love the look...might even be fun around Christmas, too!

. September 15, 2010 at 7:28 PM  

I loved how that turned out!!! I would have never in a million years guessed a cooler was under there!! :)

{northern cottage} September 15, 2010 at 8:01 PM  

I love me some jute webbing...the red the beige the texture - all yummy! What an awesome idea - so unique and COOL!

Leanne September 15, 2010 at 10:36 PM  

Wow! That is so cute! What a great idea. Thanks for linking to We're Organized Wednesday.

Cap Creations September 16, 2010 at 12:55 AM  

Your basket is wondrful! love it!

Denise C September 16, 2010 at 7:15 AM  

Oh My GOSH!!! This is so creative. ANd I just bought a whole roll of webbing to redo a chair. I'll have plenty left over.

I hope you don't mind. I linked your post to my Porch and Garden Party at firstadream.blogspot.com.

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva September 16, 2010 at 9:56 AM  

What a wonderful fall planter box! And what a great material to make it from. Gotta love modge podge!
~Kimberlee
www.TheSpunkyDiva.blogspot.com

Rebecca September 16, 2010 at 3:16 PM  

Would have never thought of this-great fall basket!

Amy {The Idea Room} September 16, 2010 at 11:15 PM  

Wow! This is such a creative idea! I LOVE the jute webbing! Really beautiful!

Tania Pelletier September 17, 2010 at 9:32 AM  

Holy cow, I love this! I have looked and looked at that jute webbing stuff when I go into my JoAnn's store... now I know what I can use it for!!

Tania

Gardening in a Sandbox September 17, 2010 at 6:17 PM  

Very creative and pretty.

Anonymous September 18, 2010 at 10:33 AM  

I was just looking at that same jute at Hobby Lobby a couple of days ago. Very creative way to use it !

BTW, I have the same red silverware holder that you have under the cooler. First time I've ever seen another one!
Connie

Tracy Wills September 18, 2010 at 4:47 PM  

What a great idea, it's amazing, I just love it!!!

Joselyn September 18, 2010 at 8:36 PM  

Ingenious! It is so pretty! I have a roll of webbing from a previous upholstery project and a few cube shaped styrofoam containers that I didn't want to throw into the landfill. I think I am going to give this a try. Thanks so much for the great instructions.

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top September 19, 2010 at 11:02 AM  

This turned out super cute! I have always liked the look of jute webbing.

Unknown September 19, 2010 at 12:21 PM  

Wonderful project! I'm going to keep my eyes open for some of that jute webbing. It turned out so cute!

~Robin~ September 20, 2010 at 6:17 AM  

Great idea! I do have one of those dumb styrofoam coolers hanging around AND I have a bunch of that jute strapping tucked in a drawer (leftover from another project). I might have to try this out! It's adorable.

lisajayne365 September 23, 2010 at 11:19 PM  

Love it. I have some of that jute in my craft room right now. I love the look of it. Rustic with a little pop of color. Great color for Fall.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards September 25, 2010 at 4:59 PM  

I've seen similar webbing at the hardware store, and I'm just loving this use of it. I think it would be great for pretty, occasional storage baskets in the entertainment center. Just lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Bobbi Jo Nichols August 3, 2011 at 6:36 PM  

That is an awesome idea. Thanks for sharing! Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Jessica @ FourGenerationsOneRoof April 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM  

What a great idea! Oh my goodness it is gorgeous! Saw this on The Lettered Cottage tweet :)

Unknown April 14, 2012 at 10:35 PM  

Love this idea!

Staci April 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM  

I love this! Thinking I may need to run out and grab some webbing tomorrow...

The thing that actually caught my attention is that red utensil tray. I have an identical one that I purchased at a yard sale a few years ago. Thought it was funny to see it show up in blogland.

Unknown February 14, 2013 at 8:12 AM  

Love this idea. I have some leftover webbing from a table runner project that I have been wondering what to do with. Just f.y.i the webbing is also available at Walmart.

Unknown May 19, 2013 at 4:52 PM  

Love your blog and this project with jute! Just wanted to let you know I featured you in my roundup of jute craft projects here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

-Mel the Crafty Scientist

Tamsyn May 20, 2013 at 9:27 PM  

I love this idea so much!! I'll be keeping an eye out for some webbing next time I hit up the hardware store. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails