Monday, July 26, 2010

Clothesline Photo Display

This is one of those projects that I almost feel a little sheepish writing a tutorial for, because it is so very basic, and you can probably guess how I did it by looking at the final picture. But while some projects sit in my mind for a few months of pondering, gathering materials, and working at them a little at a time, other projects come together out of necessity, in a single nap time, with materials scrounged up from around the house and $3.00 at Jo Ann Fabrics. Like this one.

IMG_5112.JPG

As I stated last week, I have recently moved my craft room into our old office and moved "the office/my husband's stuff" out. However, he kept the bulletin board and pictures that I had in there, so I set out to get myself something similar. So I repossessed a frame from my son's room and got to work.

I'm still trying to make the room a bit more feminine and inspiring, so I got some pretty blue damasque fabric from JoAnn's and go to work. I didn't have any foam board, so I just covered the original art piece that had been in the frame with fabric batting. It was too thin (and sturdy) for staples, so I just hot glued the batting down about every 3 inches, which did the trick.

IMG_5078.JPG

I cut my fabric about 1 1/2 inches larger than the batting, because I know that I will eventually re-do this board, and wanted to be able to remove the fabric easily while leaving the batting in tact. So I glued down the fabric in a similar fashion, pulling it snugly as I went.

IMG_5081.jpg

I wanted to be able to change out my photos easily, but I was looking for something slightly different than the typical memo board, so I thought I'd make a little clothesline. I got some cotton twine and hot glued it to the top corners of my frame pulling it pretty tautly. (You may want to try hanging a few pictures from your line and see how low it dips before you glue on the second side. Photos and clips are surprisingly heavy on a little line like this.)

IMG_5085.jpg

I then popped the fabric-covered board into the frame and tested out a few photos.

IMG_5100.jpg

I used these tiny little clothespins on my line, which are a little smaller than the pad of your thumb. They are ADORABLE! When I got them I had originally planned on gluing little rosettes or something fun to the top of them for an extra embellishment, but I ended up loving them as is.

IMG_5097.JPG

Once my photos were up I realized that the pictures that had been printed in "landscape" left enough room on the board for a second row. So I added a second string about halfway down the frame for another row of photos.

IMG_5119.JPG

I was so happy with how the fabric backing provided a fun "mat" for the photos. It was a great alternative to matting a bunch of the pictures in little frames and grouping them together.

IMG_5147.jpg

I love it! It was one of those happy projects that is easy, cute, cheap and functional.

IMG_5151.jpg

I'm linking to these incredible parties here.

Also, I'm sharing my tutorial on Freezer Paper Tote Bags over on Just Another Day in Paradise's Christmas in July party! If you missed it the first time around, click here to see it. Actually, there are tons of great ideas over there, so you should probably visit no matter what, and start thinking about and creating your Christmas gifts now!




See you Wednesday to share my favorite read this summer by far!!

E1025F317CFB5B8E9E5C526E5CC0F475.png

50 comments:

Jessica July 26, 2010 at 6:25 AM  

Erin! So simple, yet so clever. I think it's adorable.

Screw Lucy July 26, 2010 at 6:47 AM  

That's a wonderful idea.

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide July 26, 2010 at 7:34 AM  

Very cute.. the close line & pins for photo's are the perfect touch!

Unknown July 26, 2010 at 8:06 AM  

That is one of the cutest things I've EVER seen!!!

Patrice July 26, 2010 at 8:12 AM  

Looks great above your flowers too! I want to see full pictures of your craft room transformation!

Unknown July 26, 2010 at 9:26 AM  

ohhhh! I've seen people just stretch the line itself across the wall but I love this!! It looks "cleaner".

Unknown July 26, 2010 at 9:44 AM  

THIS IS PRECIOUS! I have seen the kids art display with a clothesline for the wall, love the framed idea so CUTE! ONE prob. you aren't linking to my linky party WINK WINK! I would love if you linked this up. CraftOManiac.blogspot.com HAVE A FAB. DAY! Jenn

sportzmom July 26, 2010 at 10:17 AM  

So cute! I love the clothespins. I love your vinyl flowers too! Thanks for sharing!

Jessica @ This Blessed Life July 26, 2010 at 10:32 AM  

Adorable, Erin - like always!

Kari July 26, 2010 at 10:50 AM  

I love this idea because I love pictures (and I can never decided on just a few to frame) and this is so understated yet elegant - thanks so much for sharing this great idea!

Ashley Houck July 26, 2010 at 1:25 PM  

love it! So simple, yet it looks awesome. love all your different styles and ideas!

come check me out!
{The Appraiser's Wife}
www.rahouck.blogspot.com

Unknown July 26, 2010 at 4:17 PM  

This is sweet! I love the little clothespins and fabric. Thank you for sharing.

Jaedyn July 26, 2010 at 6:54 PM  

I absolutely love this! Thank you for the inspiration. :)

Screw Lucy July 26, 2010 at 6:55 PM  

Let me know if there is a way to subscribe by email

adrnlize at aol dot com

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple July 26, 2010 at 7:55 PM  

So cute!!! I love the little clothespins!

Mad in Crafts July 26, 2010 at 8:09 PM  

Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise July 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM  

Erin, this is awesome. I would love for you to link it up over at Christmas in July. Great gift idea!!!

PS I am totally jealous that you have a craft room!

Just Another Day in Paradise

Sassy Sites! July 26, 2010 at 11:33 PM  

CUTE!!! I love your blog! TONS of great ideas!

ificould July 27, 2010 at 7:51 AM  

So cute! Where did you get the tiny clothespins?

silly eagle books July 27, 2010 at 8:25 AM  

This is awesome and I love those wall decals, too!

Amy July 27, 2010 at 9:09 AM  

Erin-great idea! This would be perfect for so many occasions! Great choice of mat!

Stacie July 27, 2010 at 9:33 AM  

That is too cute!! LoVe those tiny clothespins! I featured this here:

http://thecreativecrate.blogspot.com/2010/07/cute-clothesline-photo-display.html


Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Samantha July 27, 2010 at 9:43 AM  

Very cute smart idea.

Tru July 27, 2010 at 11:21 AM  

What a wonderful idea to have a permanent but changeable photo display.

Wendy July 27, 2010 at 12:31 PM  

Super Cute! I love how it is so customizable and easily changed!!

Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block July 27, 2010 at 12:39 PM  

This is so cute, Erin! I have to tell you - I love this fabric (I used the same on a whiteboard)! You did such an amazing job - like always! :)

Tiffany July 27, 2010 at 1:36 PM  

I luv this idea too.

Unknown July 27, 2010 at 4:28 PM  

Hi! I am your newest follower, and I have to say I love the closepin frame! I was wondering, where did you find such small clothspins? I have been looking for them since I found a similar type concept at Pier 1. Thanks!

http://kensingtoncottage.blogspot.com

vogueseamstress@yahoo.com

Jaimie July 27, 2010 at 9:27 PM  

Very cute! And I really like the frame.

Crystal July 28, 2010 at 10:34 AM  

I love this! What a fun way to display your pictures and I love the fabric you used.
-Crystal
crystalscraftspot.blogspot.com

Amy@TheCircusMcGurkus.blogspot.com July 28, 2010 at 12:22 PM  

I love this idea. So simple, but oh so cute! This would also make a great Christmas gift for Grandma and Grandpa so they could swap out old pictures for new ones as the kids grow. Hmm....

j July 29, 2010 at 11:48 AM  

Omigosh, I know what I'm going to do in my laundry room! Thank you for the awesome idea!

Your photo display is adorable.

Hootin Anni July 30, 2010 at 6:29 AM  

What a great idea.


My Friday Blog - Monkey See, Monkey Do

Hope your weekend treats you well!!

Blue Ridge Altered Art July 30, 2010 at 6:30 AM  

What a wonderful idea. I am going to have to try that. Thanks for sharing. Sherry

mommy2luke2008 July 30, 2010 at 9:59 AM  

Love this!! Very unique way to show of some pictures!!! I featured this on my friday favorites
http://lilbitofus.blogspot.com/2010/07/friday-favorites_30.html

Jenni July 30, 2010 at 10:40 AM  

LOVE this idea!!!!

One Cheap B*tch July 30, 2010 at 11:12 AM  

LOVE it!

Jeanine

DogsMom July 30, 2010 at 11:22 AM  

Another great use for old frames.
Very nicely done tutorial.

Michelle {Daydream Believers} July 31, 2010 at 10:21 AM  

Love this! :) Thanks for sharing!

cinnibonbon August 1, 2010 at 10:13 PM  

Love it!! This fabic is perfect too.

Unknown August 2, 2010 at 11:17 AM  

wow that is so cute. it makes me wish I could hang something like this up at my workplace and just interchange the photos whenever. instead of looking at grey basement walls all the time.

Leanne August 5, 2010 at 9:21 PM  

That is so cute. I love the fabric. Don't you just love those teeny clothespins?

Kimberly August 9, 2010 at 6:21 AM  

I made this and just did a post about it today. Check it out.
It was easy and came out soo cute.
http://kimberly-kimberlyskorner.blogspot.com/

Alexia August 13, 2010 at 9:17 PM  

Where did you get the mini clothes pins?? Very cute :)

Unknown August 14, 2010 at 6:35 PM  

Just wanted to let you all know that I made this frame this weekend, and will be posting about it on Monday! I hope you will check it out, I did link back to you all, and of course gave you the credit for the idea. Thanks so much for sharing!!

http://kensingtoncottage.blogspot.com

Janet September 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM  

I love how simple and cute this frame is! I'm passing along your idea and have linked back to this post. Thanks for the fun idea!

Janet September 27, 2010 at 6:32 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous February 2, 2011 at 11:46 AM  

This is sooo clever! I;m going to steal it! This would be perfect for our party, come link up! Today the party is at http://momnivoredilemma.blogspot.com

My Greenbrae Cottage February 3, 2011 at 3:26 PM  

LOVE this!
I just linked to it on my blog!!
http://mygreenbraecottage.blogspot.com/2011/02/ribbon-and-more-memory-boards-linky.html

Anonymous October 26, 2011 at 12:51 AM  

I really need to make this!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails