Tuesday, November 8, 2011

From the LTC Archives

Dear Friends,

I hope you will forgive me for pulling from our archives.  This is the very first project I ever posted on Lemon Tree.  There are two (good) reasons for this re-post.

1.) I am in a total creative, crafting, sewing rut.  It's true.  It's no fun.  However, I feel like I may be coming out of it as I have been inspired lately and have a few ideas in this frazzled mom brain of mine.  
2.) I have no camera right now.  It's been a week.  A week of no picture taking is rough for me.  

But I do promise to be back next Tuesday with a camera (hopefully) and a new project!  Thanks for understanding!

And here you have the old birdie nest...

I have a little birdie pattern I made awhile back. I thought it would be fun to make a little nest with a couple stuffed birds to go inside. I pictured it as a sweet little decoration in my Avery's room, but I knew she would want to actually play with the birds so it became a 2 in 1 project.

I was on the hunt for a nest. I came across this grapevine wreath at JoAnn's for 99 cents. It was perfect.  Avery was excited simply over the purchase of the "nest".

Of course, I went with my trusty green fabric from JoAnn's that has been used in an abundance of sewing and craft projects at our house. I just love it...

I used some orange polka-dot fabric scraps and plain yellow that we had lying around to cut out 3 little birdies for the nest...

I had brown felt scraps that I used to cut out triangle beaks and heart wings. I then typed some large brown periods and printed them on iron-on transfer paper for the eyes. I used a hole punch to cut the eyes out quickly...

I ironed an eye on both sides of each bird and then hand stitched the wings on each side with an x so that they weren't completely stuck and could flap, of course...

Next, I sewed the 2 sides of each birdie together inside out (this step was the longest as my sewing machine and I have a serious love/hate relationship). I left an opening at the bottom, flipped them right side out and hand stitched the beaks on...

The next step was to give life to the little babies by stuffing them...

I hand stitched the birds closed. After they were complete, I hot glued a round piece of brown felt to the bottom of the nest so that the birdies would stay in and to avoid scratching any furniture that the nest may be placed on...

I had to take the birdies outside for some fresh air and a photo shoot...

Avery was thrilled with the final result. And so we have a toy and a decoration in one!


Happy Tuesday!

3 comments:

Kim November 8, 2011 at 9:16 AM  

Oh! How sweet. What a great idea.

TBonesMom November 8, 2011 at 11:18 AM  

Love it. Still one of my favs...

shel November 9, 2011 at 12:49 PM  

that is simply darling!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails