Monday, October 10, 2011

Baby Candy Corn Costume

Candycorn label


About a month ago I realized that, now that I have a little girl, I'm feeling the pressure to have a really cute little costume for her for Halloween. This is particularly true since it's her first Halloween, she's still pretty tiny, and obviously has no say in the matter so it is completely momma's pick.

I had planned to purchase Hannah's costume as to alleviate something from my to do list, but I wasn't overly inspired by my choices. So I decided to take a cue from my contributors (Have you seen Tiffany's Tiny Dancer, Patrice's Cupcake or Very Hungry Caterpillar costumes?), and make her something myself.

I had to look no further than my favorite Halloween treat.

173442412 AUAMHNy7 c

source

This was pretty darn easy, folks. It took me about 2 1/2 hours total, which included all ironing, measuring, cutting, and sewing. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures along the way because I was camera-less when I was making it. But it was easy and I'll walk you through.

I started off with a plain white onesie that fit my daughter, and one of her dresses to use as a guide for the costume. I decided that the skirt should be about 10" long so I pulled out my fabric.

Candycorn 6

Measure & Cut Fabric

I purchased a half yard of this orange fabric from JoAnns and decided to use some leftover yellow fabric from my stash.

I cut my orange fabric into a long rectangle, 24" x 8". I didn't have a long enough strip of yellow, so I just cut two 15" x 4" strips and stitched them together to make one long 30" x 4" strip.

Candycorn 5

Hem and Ruffle Yellow Trim

I folded the bottom of the yellow fabric over about 1/8", ironed it down, folded and ironed it a second time, and sewed it down to finish off the bottom hem of the skirt. Then I set my sewing machine to it's longest stitch, tightened the tension and sewed down the length of the fabric, ruffling it slightly.

Attach Yellow to Orange

I laid my yellow tier down next to my orange tier and adjusted the ruffling until they were the same length. Then I pinned the pieces together with the right sides in and sewed them together with a 1/2" inseam.

Candycorn 1

Ruffle Orange

Next I sewed a running stitch down the other side of the orange fabric, setting my tension as tight as it would go so that the orange fabric was very ruffled. I adjusted the ruffled fabric so that it was twice the length of my onesie, folded it in half with the right sides of the fabric facing in, and sewed the ends together.

Attach Skirt to Onesie

For the next part I followed the instructions for the 10 Minute Dress Tutorial. This is my second onesie dress using this method and I have still not managed to do it in anywhere close to 10 minutes, but I'm pretty sure it's a user-error. I still consider myself new to sewing, especially when it comes to sewing with knits. :) I took my time and that seemed to give me more control.

My only modification to this tutorial, is that I wanted the "skirt" part of my dress to start at the bust line instead of the waist line as they show. But once you have your "skirt" you can play around with it on the onesie and see what you'd prefer before you attach it.

Candycorn 2

You're Finished! or Embellish!

As soon as the skirt was attached I just loved this little dress. I squealed, waved it in front of my husband to admire, and texted a picture to my mom and sister. And the next day I embellished it a little. (Sometimes I just can't leave well enough alone!)

Candycorn 4

I thought the "onesie part" seemed a bit plain compared to the "skirt part." So I pulled out my Ultra Hold Heat N Bond and used it to attach a 1" grosgrain ribbon around the waist. I left the ends unattached in the back for a big floppy bow and hit the ends of the ribbon with a fabric no fray. I also made a tiny bow with orange ribbon and hand stitched it under the collar. Perfect.

Candycorn 7

I used the same yellow and white polka dotted fabric and this tutorial to make these bloomers for Hannah when I was about 6 months pregnant. I was so excited to discover that they still fit! So her costume is set.

Bloomers 1

Now I just need to make the perfect headband. :)

I'll be linking to some great parties this week, feel free to stop by to say hi!

E1025F317CFB5B8E9E5C526E5CC0F475 copy

4 comments:

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide October 10, 2011 at 1:14 PM  

Adorable. A candy corn headband would be the perfect fit.

Tiffany October 10, 2011 at 1:18 PM  

That is absolutely perfect! Love the idea and those bloomers are crazy cute! Love the embellishments you added too! No doubt Hannah will be ridiculously adorable as a candy corn! : )

Haley @thedistractedblogger October 12, 2011 at 12:17 AM  

So Cute!

Haley@thedistractedblogger

Lauren October 13, 2011 at 8:50 AM  

I really really really dislike that 10 minute skirt tutorial. Flipping it over and sewing it that way actually eats up an inch or so of your onesie! I found Barefoot in the Kitchen's tutorial the best, but am not sure why she uses elastic. So anways, I've been attempting to make a dress for my little girl and can totally relate to this entire post. This candy corn dress is too cute!

Related Posts with Thumbnails