Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Life Is Beautiful Sign

Last week I shared the giant frame my husband made for our mantel.  Well you know I can't let wood go to waste so I came up with a plan for some of the extra.


First, I had my handy husband saw off the angled edges to make them straight.


I found some stain in the garage that was used for the bench in our nook as well as the giant frame and stained up the wood.


I should have stained the edges too but just focused on the top and middle of the wood piece.


I used my Silhouette machine and frosted vinyl to create letters for my sign.


I used my DecoArt white paint to cover the sign.


I painted right over the letters and made sure the sides and top were covered in a light coat of white.


After the light coat of white paint, I removed the vinyl letters to reveal the stained wood beneath.  Of course, I used my trusty sand block to rough it up a bit.


I hammered in some picture hangers on either side.


Finally, it was complete and I was in love.


I had the perfect place for it right above the toy shelf in the living room.


I love the irony of the sign above the mess of toys.  Our life is a beautiful mess and I love it that way.


Thanks for stopping by!  

I'll be linking to these fun parties this week.

Happy Tuesday!

12 comments:

Lisa Davis June 7, 2011 at 7:35 AM  

I love how you remove the vinyl letters for a completely different look! Stuck it on my Pinterest page so that it can be in my "to do" list! :)

Unknown June 7, 2011 at 8:16 AM  

I love this! I have been wanting to do a "family" portrait wall in my living room, a sign like this would be perfect with it! Definitely bookmarking this post to my to do list!

Tammy June 7, 2011 at 9:29 AM  

I actually liked it before you painted it. :)

Annie Louise June 7, 2011 at 11:09 AM  

Very nice--good job!
Jeanette

Anonymous June 7, 2011 at 11:24 AM  

thats so cool, love it!



Im having a giveaway on my blog for a cute monogram french damask necklace...

http://cassylately.blogspot.com/2011/06/monday-giveaway.html

About Me June 8, 2011 at 4:19 AM  

this is just gorgeous Tiffany - this is the saying we used at our wedding and its so true too - I LOVE your comment about the irony of it being near the 'messy' toys (hehehehe)- a nice reminder hey! I LOVE this blog - have spent days and days going through all your posts - the worst part about it is my absolute NEED for a silhouette machine! hehehehehhe xxx

Patrice June 8, 2011 at 6:38 AM  

This is great! I love how you used the frosted vinyl! There is a saying I have been trying to work into our house somewhere, and I love the idea of this...get's me thinking!

Johnnie June 9, 2011 at 8:34 AM  

Awesome! I am a new follower. Stopping by to invite you to join Thrifty Thursday, because your blog is adorable. Have a wonderful day. Blessings!

Unknown June 10, 2011 at 8:59 AM  

Very very cute!!! I love how it turned out!

I host a weekly Friday link party, I would love you to come and link up if you are interested!

Ashley
www.simplydesigning.blogspot.com

annies home June 10, 2011 at 1:01 PM  

awesome job looks great and love what it says

Boden June 10, 2011 at 5:31 PM  

I just love this. I love the simplicity of it, the statement it makes, and the welcoming look of it. Great job! I'd like to try my own soon, Jen @ www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

Leanne June 10, 2011 at 11:48 PM  

What a beautiful sentiment. I love how the wood shows through and how you distressed it. Thanks for linking to the party.

Related Posts with Thumbnails