Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Board and Batten Nursery

 I know, I know, I am about 2 years behind on the board and batten love phase. When we were trying to decide what we needed to do to convert our {tiny} guest room into a nursery, I knew I wanted a big impact. After some diy research, I decided that board and batten would give me just the look I was going for. So, before I reveal some nursery projects and the final makeover, I thought I would share with you our board and batten attempts.

We had already removed our guest bed to make room for an office, so our space started mostly like this...

After we added our board and batten, it looks a little more like this!
The light colors of the space really brighten it up and do a lot to make the room look bigger! We followed a great tutorial and a few easy steps to create our room. I got most of my design tips and measurements from the Decor Chick. You can follow her easy steps here as well.

The short version is this:
1) We purchased lattice strips from Home Depot, for around $.66 a foot. For the 'board' or shelf part, we used door molding for around $2.00 a foot. 
2) My husband cut the lattice strips and molding for me. We chose to cut them about 4.5 feet long, and measured the molding to fit our specific wall measurements.  (We did not pre-paint or prime the strips or molding.)
3) We taped off and painted the room first. The top color we used was Martha Stewart Whetstone, the bottom was Behr Ultra White. (Semi-gloss)
4) We measured off and taped up our lattice strips. We chose to space them around 12 inches apart, but altered some distances to avoid corners. When you step back without a tape measure, you really can't tell at all!
5) After we taped off our strips, we used a stud gun to attach them quickly to the wall. We then hung the molding over the strips. 
6) Once everything was secured in place, we caulked till our hearts content!
7) Finally, we painted about 4 coats of Behr Semi-gloss Ultra White over everything.
I am so very happy with the outcome. The room is feeling great already, and I can't wait to get the furniture all in place! I would love to get this whole nursery complete and checked off my list before school starts again in the fall. Now I am just hoping that this pesky pregnancy fatigue doesn't get in my way!!
Be sure to check out the Decor Chick for some more board and batten inspiration. Trust me, this is a project anyone can do, and the impact is incredible. I will be linking to these parties this week. Happy painting!

On another note, we are still looking for guest posters for Thursday's coming in July. I am already excited to share with you the great projects we have had submitted so far, but can't wait to see what you have as well! Find the details here.

Happy Thursday,

6 comments:

OhioFamOf4 June 16, 2011 at 8:26 AM  

What an amazing idea! Elegant and easy.

Andi June 16, 2011 at 8:32 AM  

Absolutely beautiful! I would love to try this someday, if I ever get up the nerve ;-)

Kathy June 16, 2011 at 11:00 AM  

That looks great!! You guys did a really good job.

Decorchick! June 16, 2011 at 4:25 PM  

That looks SO great Patrice!! Nothing like a little B&B to totally change a room. Looks awesome. Thanks so much for the shout out!!

Mellen June 16, 2011 at 10:14 PM  

this looks fabulous patrice!

Chrissy @ the Pearl Blog June 17, 2011 at 12:04 AM  

it looks great. I love how it turned out! I may need to try this!

are all your books turned around?

Related Posts with Thumbnails