Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Reformed Nook

This home solution was inspired by this post on The Shabby Nest about her closet turned mini mudroom. Genius. Pure genius. I filed that amazing idea away in my mind. It was only a short time later when the lightbulb went off and I had finally found a use for this eyesore in our entryway.


Isn't blogging the best? So many people willing to share their creative minds with the world. We can find ideas we love, make them our own and our homes are all happier because of it! Wendy even featured my little nook on her blog because what could make a decorating blogger happier than inspiring someone else to improve their home? That is what it's all about!

You see we live in a cookie cutter sort of house so I love personalizing it. This was just the spot to make a statement. It had been painted green along with the rest of the living room since before we even moved in over 5 years ago. It had a ton of possibilities and we discussed many different options. I am not sure what the original purpose was for this spot, but I just could not settle on its fate.

After I saw Wendy's mini mud room, I knew that was it. I love bead board and would put it all over the place if I could. So, I saved up the money necessary to complete the project and quickly put my husband to work (on Labor Day weekend, of course). Liquid nails became my husband's new best friend.


After all the bead board and trim was glued into place and painted a basic white, the hooks were placed on a separate piece of wood and installed. The hooks were bought at Ikea and were only $10 for all four. Not bad, huh? I found a sign that seemed to be meant for this spot at T.J. Maxx for $5.99.


Next up, Jason installed a piece of wood that we stained dark for a nice contrast to all the white. I loved the way it looked and the kids were pretty excited about a new bench to sit and stand on.


Then it was time to have fun with pillows for the little bench. Wendy came in handy again and inspired my pillow choices for the nook. I didn't have a sewing machine yet so I put my Mom to work. She sewed the larger pillow out of muslin and then pinned 3 handmade red burlap flowers to it. The flowers are pinned on since I am famous for frequently wanting a change. I chose yellow fabric that we already had for the smaller pillow. I added the j. using iron-on transfer paper. (And just to keep it real, my son had used the yellow pillow as a kleenex right before I took this picture. That would be the reason for the wet spot on top.)


And finally the reformed nook in all its glory...


Now guests have an easy spot to place coats, purses, diaper bags, etc. I am thrilled. It is my new favorite spot and it sets the tone for the whole house right when you walk in. It was definitely worth waiting for.

All of us hope you have found inspiration for your homes and lives right here at Lemon Tree Creations. I know we have been inspired by so many of you. Thanks for visiting!

Happy Tuesday!

26 comments:

Rockabilly Mom May 4, 2010 at 6:27 AM  

That looks absolutelty fantastic! Great job!

Jessica May 4, 2010 at 7:21 AM  

So cute Tiffany! I wish I had an area to "nook" myself. I love it!

Erin A May 4, 2010 at 7:38 AM  

It looks so great! Unfortunately our nook is 8 feet in the air above the fireplace. This is going in my "try to pull this off in a future house" file. :) I would never want to leave this little area!

Lauren Thomas May 4, 2010 at 7:40 AM  

It's perfrect! Everytime I come to this blog, my mind resorts to decorating overload....and I LOVE it!!!

Unknown May 4, 2010 at 7:47 AM  

It's fantastic. It looks so pretty and such a welcoming sight!

Sarah Jones May 4, 2010 at 8:18 AM  

i can't imagine what that nook was originally intended for, but you found the perfect way to use it, it looks amazing! you all definitely do inspire, i'm attempting your growth chart ruler as soon as i have a free weekend and i'm now dying to paint my bedroom after the kitchen transformation!

Kelli May 4, 2010 at 8:36 AM  

I love this, especially the yellow pillow. This adds a great little touch to your home and I'm sure makes guests feel welcome. I remember coming to your blog for the first time because Wendy featured you and I've been hooked ever since.

Unknown May 4, 2010 at 8:50 AM  

That turned out beautifully. It's a really nice spot. Great work! (Oh, and I love your kitchen redo in the last post too btw!!!)

Kari May 4, 2010 at 8:55 AM  

That looks GREAT! I love the bench at the bottom!

Anna May 4, 2010 at 9:34 AM  

How Fabulous! Very creative & it turned out great! Thanks for sharing!

House of Smiths May 4, 2010 at 10:59 AM  

Absolutely FAB!
I love it... totally changes the space!
Nice work, girl!
Shelley

Bibliochic May 4, 2010 at 11:41 AM  

that is brilliant! it looks like it was made for that space!! what a great idea. i wish i had a nook!
xoxo
tod @ http://bibliochicshop.blogspot.com/

Kendra Goodrich May 4, 2010 at 12:13 PM  

Looks great, makes me wish I had some sort of little nook in my place!!!

The Fear Fam May 4, 2010 at 12:47 PM  

Fantastic! You really did such a nice job, and it makes me want to find a way to spice up my laundry room, which also serves as an unorganized mud room. Thanks for the inspiration!

Amy May 4, 2010 at 1:09 PM  

It's even cuter in person! Love the bead board!

Morgan//Nuts and Bows May 4, 2010 at 1:29 PM  

This turned out so great! LOVE it!!

~Morgan

Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!

Frugal Home Designs May 4, 2010 at 2:09 PM  

Love it. Now I wish I had a strange little nook. Great job.

Townhouse Trials May 4, 2010 at 4:00 PM  

WOW! Love it!!!
What a good use of space!

Maria Babin May 5, 2010 at 1:41 AM  

genius! and i actually was wondering about the darker spot on the yellow cushion!!! it really turned out great! do you think i could just dig a hole in one of my walls? hee hee

Sarah @ Hennessey House May 5, 2010 at 3:33 PM  

uhm, could this be any cuter?! i think not. incredible!

Patrice May 5, 2010 at 7:50 PM  

For real, completely the cutest thing ever! I'm SOO jealous. I desperately want to think of an excuse for getting rid of our coat closet to make THIS happen!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver May 5, 2010 at 8:12 PM  

I want a really cool 'art nook' that I no longer want, so I can have a 'sit down'spot!
Sooooo... inviting.
Have a nice day.

JoLynn May 5, 2010 at 10:25 PM  

What a great use of that space! I am continually amazed at how crafty and innovative people are on here. Such inspiration!!

Carolyn May 6, 2010 at 11:44 PM  

Oh Wow! I love your little nook!! What a wonderful idea! Looks like a a picture out of a magazine!
hugs!

Becca Ross May 7, 2010 at 4:26 PM  

I love this! I love the contrasting colors and pillows. I hope you'll come link this up to Home and Family Friday.

http://becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com/

Becca

lanni @ dandygiveaway.blogspot.com September 1, 2010 at 1:25 PM  

this is so cute! And perfect for little bums to sit and put their shoes on - I wish I had a space like this :)

Lanni

Related Posts with Thumbnails