Thursday, June 9, 2011

Shut Up and Sew: Ruffled Burp Cloths

I thought it might be fun to share another baby project today, since dear Erin's baby is scheduled to arrive sometime this week, and maybe even today! Recently I made a few burp cloths for another friends baby shower, and it couldn't have been quicker or easier to make. I am DEFINITELY a novice sewer, so I know ANYONE could make these with the right materials!

You'll need some good cloth diapers, (I used Gerber because of their durability, thickness and softness) your handy ribbon stash, scissors and a sewing machine.
First, cut your bottom ribbon choice a length and a half longer than the width of your burp cloths. This accounts for the extra material you'll need for the ruffling. 
Next, run your ribbon through your machine on a wide stitch setting to prepare for your ruffle. (Yes, I still use this method, its just really easy for me and I honestly haven't had much to explore the easier methods yet! You can read more about it here.) Tie off the stitch at one end, and gently pull one thread from the other end of the stitch, your ribbon should begin to ruffle. 
 
Once you have created the ruffle, measuring the length of the ruffle to the width of the burp cloth, run it through your sewing machine to attach it to the edge of your burp cloth. 
To finish  your cloth add a nice matching or contrasting ribbon to cover your first seam. Obviously the possibilities are endless. You can mix and match ribbons, widths, amounts of ruffles, etc. to your hearts content!
{After looking at these photo's I am fairly certain you can sew a straighter seam than I can!}

This took no time at all, and yielded a pretty cute result!  I can definitely see myself using this quick and easy project for more shower gifts to come. If you want to see an even better set of burp cloths...you should definitely look back at Erin's version. They were indeed perfect!

I'll be linking to these parties this week. See you there!
Happy Thursday!

  

3 comments:

Lisa Davis June 9, 2011 at 7:52 AM  

THese are super cute! :) I've found that when I sew certain materials on (especially ribbon) I like to use invisable thread, that way you don't see how crooked your line might be! :)

btanders June 9, 2011 at 2:52 PM  

Very cute! I love to embellish burp rags. I love how you used to layers of ribbon! I would love it if you would stop by my website and take a peak at a few I made.

http://btanders.blogspot.com

Joanna June 10, 2011 at 1:15 PM  

Very cute! I'm actually making some for a twin mom friend in the very near future, and those would be awesome for her girl!

Related Posts with Thumbnails