Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Baby & Big Girl Room - Part 4 - The Other Walls


Okay, today I am going to share how these walls came together...


First up is "the sun" as Avery calls it. When I told her that the new paint color in her room would be like the sky, she asked if there would be a sun. I didn't think there would be until I found this treasure for $3 in the clearance aisle at Hobby Lobby. It just needed a quick change in fabric. I tore off the back, used the pink polka-dot material as my pattern, cut out the yellow fabric I wanted, and glued it on...


Super easy, cheap, and it was "the sun" that Avery had requested. It was a pin-up board that came with adorable crystal push pins. I personalized it with an old flash card, a newborn photo of me, a picture of my Mom when she was little, and then a bigger picture of my girls together...


Next up were the oval frames on the other wall. My Mom just had these oval beauties laying around her house. I love me some oval frames so I was thrilled. They were perfect for the girls' wall and free! I painted them black first. Then I used delicate white with pink dot fabric as my background for silhouettes of the girls. I used the 'ol print and trace method. I took pictures of the girl's profiles, printed them out the size I needed, traced them onto black paper, and cut them out.


I taped them to the fabric, popped the glass back in, and admired the finished product. The one of Mia just makes me smile...


The next mini project for the wall was the sisters sign. We have so much beadboard leftover from our nook project that I am always trying to find a use for it. I had used some for a giant ruler and now some would be used for a sign. I just had my husband cut a piece to the exact size I wanted. I looked through my stash of cardstock letters and found the perfect ones. I traced them onto the board in pencil, and then painted the letters black...


The final touch was adding pink ribbon with spray adhesive to the back for hanging...


I used the white shelf that had already been in the room under the sisters sign. I have a serious love of Little Golden Books and am lucky enough to have a few from when I was a little girl and sweet friends who give them to me as gifts. I found 3 that were just perfect for the room.

I added a pink hanky and some old blocks that I found at the Country Living Fair this year and it was complete...


So, that completed the other walls and now the room is shaping up quite nicely and almost ready to be fully revealed...


I'll be linking to these parties this week. Check them out for some serious inspiration!

Come back next Tuesday for the final part of this series. I can't wait to show you the rest of the details and the whole finished product. I'll let you in on the paint color and even tell you where those perfect little birdie decals came from just in case you are wondering...

Happy Tuesday!

9 comments:

TBonesMom October 6, 2010 at 8:10 AM  

My favorite parts are the silhouettes and the Little Golden Books...so stinkin' cute! And it's too cute that Avery wanted a sun in their sky. :)

Whitney @ Life's a Highway October 6, 2010 at 9:27 AM  

The frame you used for your "sun" -- I have been eying it for weeks now! I want to buy it for my new little niece's room but was waiting for it to go on sale. I want it even more now that I've seen yours!

Amy October 6, 2010 at 9:50 AM  

This was really inspirational to me because it was simple and sweet. I don't do well with rooms that are too busy. Great wall color choice.

A Whole Lotta Magic October 6, 2010 at 11:55 AM  

That is soooooo cute!

Sue @ Beach Bungalow
xo

Erin A October 6, 2010 at 3:16 PM  

It looks so adorable!! I'm loving the details in this room, great job!!

Jessica October 7, 2010 at 8:06 AM  

This room gets "cuter" by the post! Love it!

Patrice October 7, 2010 at 8:13 AM  

I love the silhouettes and the birds! It is all coming together so beautifully. Two lucky little girls!

AllieMakes! October 7, 2010 at 6:04 PM  

Very Sweet! And excellent instructions!
You should come link this up to my Making It With Allie link party!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Melissa December 5, 2010 at 10:33 AM  

I just happened upon your blog, and saw this post about your girls' room first...I LOVE it! I have two little girls myself and have been needing some ideas to decorate their walls - your ideas are awesome! I especially love the shelf w/ the Little Golden books - if you haven't seen them yet, definitely look for the ones called "Little Mommy" and "The New Baby". Those ones are so sweet, and they are my 3 1/2 year old's favorites. :) And I think I'm going to try that silhouette project. Thanks for the inspiration!

Related Posts with Thumbnails