Thursday, July 15, 2010

Yard Sale School Desk

Even my husband has now given into my yard sale obsession. This pays off for me in a lot of ways. All of the credit for finding this piece is owed to him. While driving home from work on a random Thursday night, he passed a great sale around the corner. He called me, I came out with the cash and walked away with this beauty... for only $3.00! That's right. I gave them a five and actually got change, while walking away with an awesome new piece! To be honest, I kind of ran since I felt like taking this desk for $3.00 was highway robbery.



I am in the process of updating my daughter's nursery, which can be seen here, and after seeing the gorgeous desk Tiffany had in her big girl's room, I new this piece would work perfectly. I pulled together my new Amy Butler (LOVE!) fabric inspiration for the room and some left over paint to give this chair a little make over.



The paint I applied was Martha Stewart Anjou Pear. Immediately after painting it, I questioned my decision not to stain it instead. The texture of the wood was so rich and the grain was simply fabulous. Something I overlooked before a quick coat of paint. I compromised my original decision by sanding down the paint and exposing a lot of the desk's original personality.





For a bit of personalization I decided to apply a little monogram. We went with a lower case "b" for our last name. We are hoping this desk, with what I can only imagine is a rich history, will stick around for a few generations to come. I stenciled in the b and painted it with my Laura Ashley Geranium Pink.





Now with the finished product, we can all just sit and enjoy. Well, she, can sit and enjoy. I have a lot more work to do to put that fabulous Amy Butler fabric to good use and update my big girl's room. I guess you'll just have to come back for some sneak peeks and the finished product!






I'll be linking up to these great parties this week, as well as the CSI Yard Sale Challenge.
Hope you will stop by and join us all!



Visit thecsiproject.com

28 comments:

Unknown July 15, 2010 at 5:42 AM  

Darling! I love the lower case initial. You can still see the wood texture in the pictures. Great find and transformation!

Missy July 15, 2010 at 5:45 AM  

Love it!! She will enjoy that for years!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy July 15, 2010 at 8:52 AM  

I am beyond jealous with your fabulous find!! I want one :)

Lori July 15, 2010 at 8:57 AM  

I love the way your desk turned out and your daughter is BEYOND cute!

Tiffany July 15, 2010 at 9:01 AM  

Looks incredible, Patrice! What a find! Love the little b and the colors! Gorgeous and your little sweetie looks just right sitting in it! Nice job!

Anne July 15, 2010 at 11:05 AM  

I'd have run too and made sure I avoided that neighborhood for a few days to boot!!! What a great find! You're one lucky lady!

Ruby Red Slippers July 15, 2010 at 12:09 PM  

Oh MY Goodness!
I have the exact same desk, but have been afraid of painting it, but after seeing yours, I will be on it...as soon as Summer is over, and I head home from our summer cottage-

Thanks for inspiring me!!!

garage sales tracker July 15, 2010 at 12:34 PM  

we would love to help out in some way if at all possible.

brandi @ tales of a domestic goddess July 15, 2010 at 1:52 PM  

so sweet!! this is on my needs list! =)

visiting from tales from bloggeritaville

Robin {keephomesimple} July 15, 2010 at 2:30 PM  

Soooo gorgeous! I love seeing what something old can be transformed into. Awesome job!
-Robin @ keephomesimple.blogspot.com

Robin Ange July 15, 2010 at 4:18 PM  

Love it! I just did a desk chair rehab myself.

Love it and I would love if you would link this project up over at my blog http://www.thetshirtdiaries.com‘s Upcycled Awesome linky party – http://tinyurl.com/Upcycled5

Amy July 15, 2010 at 7:03 PM  

Patrice-love this! You found a fabulous find! Great job with the paint and monogram!!

RenĂ©e July 16, 2010 at 5:33 AM  

Congratulations! Your Yard Sale find made this week's Top 5 Hits at Singing With Birds. Come check it out, grab a blog button and thanks for sharing your latest creation!

http://singingwithbirds.blogspot.com

The Household 6 Diva July 16, 2010 at 8:02 AM  

This is such a lovely find! I too am a yard sale enthusiast!

I love the simplicity of the lowercase letter. Very chic!

{stopping by from TidyMom}

Erin A July 16, 2010 at 10:41 AM  

I love this Patrice, so cute! I have been eyeing one at our thrift store, this may have been the nudge I needed to pick it up and bring it home! If it were $3 that would definitely push me over the edge and I would just HAVE to get it. Love the colors too!

Bargain Hoot July 17, 2010 at 12:45 AM  

This is so cute and your daughter makes it even cuter!!

Anonymous July 18, 2010 at 12:42 PM  

That is so super cute and what a great find! Your daughter is absolutely adorable (I fancy myself an expert on adorable daughters).

Jennifer July 19, 2010 at 9:56 AM  

Great find! I love the simplicity of the finished look. Very, very pretty!

Laura July 19, 2010 at 9:29 PM  

What a great find! I'm jealous.

Jacqueline July 19, 2010 at 11:42 PM  

This is a treasure and you made it a treasure that you will want to hang onto for a long time. Love the color choices and the lighting in your pictures is beautiful. Nice to meet you.

Jennifer Juniper July 20, 2010 at 8:24 AM  

I love this treasure! Anjou pear is on my walls in my house :)

Mad in Crafts July 20, 2010 at 9:25 AM  

Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

Amy July 20, 2010 at 9:37 AM  

Such a cute transformation!! The cute little girl totally sets everything off!! What a great place for the kiddos to sit and come up with their own creations!! Thanks for sharing!!

lynda July 20, 2010 at 3:52 PM  

What a great find! I love adorable. I now need one of those!!

Unknown July 21, 2010 at 10:41 PM  

The desk turned out so cute! I have one I've been meaning to redo for my son. This is great inspiration!

raggygirlvintage July 22, 2010 at 12:16 AM  

What a stunning find, I love the way you sanded it down to show the wood.
tracey

Leanne July 22, 2010 at 10:14 AM  

The desk turned out beautiful. I love the color you chose and the monogram is the perfect addition. That is such a great find. Thanks for joining We're Organized Wednesday. Have a great day.

Helena July 23, 2010 at 9:14 AM  

Aww, that is so cute. I especially love the picture of your little girl sitting sideways on it :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails