Monday, July 12, 2010

Little Man Tie Applique

I have been itching to get my hands on a little tie t shirt for my son for forever now. (I blame Tiffany mostly, who has made a few adorable versions for her adorable son and I've been drooling over them ever since.) So when I got myself a sewing machine, I rushed out and picked out several different fabrics to make a perfect little tie t shirt. Unfortunately, the sewing machine has still never been turned on, (because of a missing bobbin holder), but with an upcoming beach vacation I decided that desperate times called for desperate measures, and I would just try to figure something out.

IMG_4610.jpg

There are probably other tutorials on tie t shirt making, but I thought I'd share how I made mine with you today.

First, I got myself some Wonder Under at Hobby Lobby, and the lady assured me that it would turn any piece of fabric into an applique. Perfect!!

IMG_3730.JPG

I made a little template for my ties by folding a piece of paper in half length-wise, sketching a little tie shape, cutting it out and holding it up to holding it up to one of my son's shirts, and then trimming it a bit until I was happy with the length and width.

I put my template underneath the Wonder Under, traced an outline on the smooth side of the paper, and cut out my little tie shape. I then put it underneath my fabric (rough side up), and ironed it on.

IMG_3731.JPG

I trimmed the tie shape out of the fabric with the adhesive paper still attached. I then peeled off the paper...

IMG_3735.jpg

placed the tie knot under the collar of the t shirt, covered it with a damp rag and ironed it for about 10 seconds.  I then finished by doing the same with the tie tail.

IMG_3733370x555.JPG.jpg

Easy and so cute!!

IMG_3736370x555.jpg

Once it was finished, I was so in love that I decided to try out my other fabrics too, just to give him some summertime options. Then I thought it would be cute if he had a little "The Killers" inspired skinny black tie. So I made...a few.

IMG_4456.JPG

How many tie t shirts does one little boy need? As many as his mom feels like making!! And as many as will max out the solid colored t shirts in the house, luckily some are a size up so we can keep a few tie t shirts in his wardrobe for a year or so now. :)

IMG_4671.JPG

I did try out a few different iron on fabric adhesives in this project, and the short run down on those is, the Wonder Under (both regular and strong hold) both will need further stitching to secure the applique, and are great options for some of the fabrics that would look adorable with detail stitching, especially in a complimentary color. For a complete no-sew option, the strongest fabric adhesive I tried was Heat N Bond's Ultra Hold.

Have fun with this! Especially if your little guy starts striking all sorts of smoldering Ralph Lauren-esq poses when the camera is out! :)

IMG_4623.jpg

Is there a little guy in your life who needs a tie t shirt? Did you love one of these fabrics? These appliques, and a few others, are all available in my etsy shop here, with either light or strong adhesive options.

Here are some fun link parties to check out as well.

Have a great week and see you next Monday!


 

E1025F317CFB5B8E9E5C526E5CC0F475.png

26 comments:

Tiffany July 12, 2010 at 8:37 AM  

These are awesome, Erin! Yea for Jayce, he finally got him some tie shirts! What boy does not look absolutely adorable in a tie shirt? That plaid one in the last picture is perfect and he seriously looks like a child model. Hilarious. Love it.

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise July 12, 2010 at 9:02 AM  

Erin, I LOVE these! So cute.

I would love for you to link them up on the Christmas in July linky party. What a great gift idea!

Just Another Day in Paradise

Patrice July 12, 2010 at 9:03 AM  

I love these. He is too cute in them. I need to think of someways to make this girlie...my mind is reeling. Just you wait, next week you'll probably see my little girl version because you made this look too easy!

Katie July 12, 2010 at 3:03 PM  

Ulta adorable!! I use to work at a childern clothing store(hartstings) and tori spelling designed a collection with a tie shirt. I thought they were great and almost got one for my cousin. Glad I didnt spend the $28 on it. Im gonna make hime a bunch of my own! Thank you!
Another cool idea might be suspenders.

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple July 12, 2010 at 8:39 PM  

Those are super cute!!

Kari July 12, 2010 at 9:39 PM  

I love the way this looks! I also love his priceless expression on his face :) Thanks for sharing!

Jaedyn July 12, 2010 at 9:44 PM  

Sooo cute! Isn't it addictive? I did this not long ago for a friend's baby shower and she loooved it. :)

Wendy July 12, 2010 at 9:57 PM  

How fun, these are so cute!

NoDebtMomma July 12, 2010 at 9:57 PM  

Super cute!!

Sam
Mom.Undecided.
http://momundecided.blogspot.com
(Come check out my first product review!)

Pati @ A Crafty Escape July 12, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

Too cute! I just made a tie onesie for my friend's newborn and blogged about it.

Amy July 13, 2010 at 9:13 AM  

So cute! I definitely need to make one of these for my little guy!

Anonymous July 13, 2010 at 7:23 PM  

I love this! We are a loving airplane family! And I will have to do some of those tie shirts for my son!!! So classy!!

Lisa July 14, 2010 at 7:31 AM  

Too cute! I hope one of my pregnant friends has a boy so I can make an adorable little onesie with a tie!

Apron Senorita July 14, 2010 at 8:16 AM  

Hi, I’m Yoli from Apron Senorita. I’m blog hopping from Trendy Treehouse and happy to be your new follower. Love the ties. ~ Yoli :)

Helena July 14, 2010 at 9:58 AM  

Those turned out so cute! And I love hearing about sewing-alternatives- my machine is broken too.

Thank you for participating in the Creative Therapy Session with Life in the Pitts!

Samantha July 14, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

How simple and cute. And so much more comfortable than a real tie.

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva July 14, 2010 at 2:53 PM  

Those are very simple and cute. And very easy to zig zag a stitch around the outside to make the applique very secure (simple is always good, LOL). Visiting from Whatever Goes Wed.

~Kimberlee
www.thespunkydiva.blogspot.com

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com July 15, 2010 at 7:24 AM  

Love the little plaid and striped ties!! Stop on by and link up to Make It Wear It Thursdays.

Sue July 16, 2010 at 11:46 AM  

I have always loved this idea! Yours are perfect! My daughter has made a few also:)

Suzanne July 16, 2010 at 4:23 PM  

So cute and a great tutorial. Thanks for sharing!

Brittany (aka Pretty Handy Girl) July 16, 2010 at 9:38 PM  

So dapper! I think this might actually be the kind of tie my husband might wear too! LOL!

Thanks for sharing.

Mad in Crafts July 16, 2010 at 9:40 PM  

Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

Anonymous July 16, 2010 at 10:57 PM  

These are adorable! Such a well dressed little boy.

http://alltheabcsofmylife.blogspot.com

Steph @ somewhatsimple February 20, 2011 at 11:32 PM  

So fun! I am featuring this on somewhatsimple this Tuesday! Thanks for the idea!
-Steph

Excerpts from My Soul September 4, 2011 at 8:35 PM  

I had a question. How do you keep the edge of the fabric from fraying? Does the Wonder Under prevent that???

Excerpts from My Soul September 4, 2011 at 8:36 PM  

I have a question. How do you keep the edge of the fabric from fraying? Does the Wonder Under prevent that??

Related Posts with Thumbnails