Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Big Girl Room

I shared my son's nursery awhile back and so I thought I would share my big girl's room too. They are both subject to change at any minute when baby arrives. And believe me I already have the exact plans for both etched in my mind!

Her room was decorated about 2 years ago right before baby brother was born. We had a neutral nursery for her since we did not find out what we were having and I could not wait to decorate a "girly" room.

This is the view when you walk in the door...


The walls were already green from her nursery. I always joked that our baby would not be able to sleep due to the brightness of the green but we've never had any problems. There was a very small budget for turning her room into a big girl room so we stuck with the green (although now I can hardly wait to change it).

I found the quilt at Target. It was a compromise. Not exactly what I had in mind but it was cute, girly and cheap so I went with it.

The bed was my husband's when he was young and the nightstand is on loan from one of my sisters. The little baby doll cradle at the foot of the bed was made by a great uncle. My Mom made a little foam mattress, pillow, and blankie for the cradle made from a green polka-dot baby blanket. The wooden frames had been in the nursery already so I just changed out the pictures and used pink polka-dot scrapbook paper for mats.


I found this little white shelf for next to nothing at a yard sale and added some letter A's to it for Avery. My Mom helped me out by purchasing a few of the A's. I painted some, decoupaged a couple, and left a few as is. I had a lot of fun with the A shelf and Avery has always loved it...


Jason did the wainscotting on the walls himself before she was born. It was a lot of work for him but well worth it to me!

On the left side are the 2 pieces of furniture we bought for her room. The dresser was found at a Pottery Barn Outlet store for a great price.


I talked Jason into buying this desk at a yard sale for $5 when Avery was just a tiny baby. I dreamed of having it in her big girl room someday. It is an old school desk (very fitting since Mommy was a teacher). I just fell in love. My favorite part, of course is adding the details that nobody but me cares about. I painted a black 3 on the back of the chair to give it a little more character. I chose 3 because she was born in March and she was 3 at the time the desk was added to her room. I just used a cardboard scrapbook # as a stencil and used black craft paint...easy peasy.


I also put golden books that were mine when I was a little girl in the storage spot under the chair.


And then finally there is the closet. Jason put all these wonderful shelves in it before she was born and they are so helpful! I love to smile when I open up a closet and this one does it for me...


Thanks for visiting Lemon Tree. I will be partying with the creative bloggers you can find here. Be sure and check them out!

Happy Tuesday!

27 comments:

Patrice July 6, 2010 at 6:36 AM  

I love her sweet room! I am currently working on updating our nursery and it got my mind reeling! I just actually picked up a similar desk for $3.00, what's with people selling the good stuff for super cheap huh? Your number 3 gave me a great idea!

Stephanie R. July 6, 2010 at 7:11 AM  

Beautiful!! I know your probably tired of all the green, but I really love that color! I do have to say my favorite part of the room is the letter "A's" so awesome!!!

Alyssa July 6, 2010 at 7:50 AM  

Kate is in heaven - she and Avery have the same bedspread....

Unknown July 6, 2010 at 7:54 AM  

love the bold green and the old school desk!

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
party inspiration

Erin A July 6, 2010 at 8:11 AM  

Her room is so sweet!! That wainscoting is awesome and you're totally right about the chair, adorable!! Love the number and the Golden books, classic!

I also can't get enough of those As, they are each perfect! Great job, the baby would be lucky to move into such a cute room!

Unknown July 6, 2010 at 8:17 AM  

LOVE the "a" shelf!! And the desk? GORGEOUS! So cute. My sisters and I had an antique desk like that when we were kids and we loved it!

Amy July 6, 2010 at 2:49 PM  

I've always loved this room...it definitely makes you smile when you enter! You've done such a great job with all the details--the "A" shelf, desk, picture frames, doll cradle...I could go on and on! So perfect!

Unknown July 6, 2010 at 5:19 PM  

How cute this is.. I love the green you chose. And the bunch of "A's"...so cute! and clever!

Melissa July 6, 2010 at 6:07 PM  

Love all of the As and the old desk is awesome!

Madigan at madiganmade July 6, 2010 at 9:16 PM  

I love the little touches. The As and the "3" are sweet!

jennifer July 6, 2010 at 11:04 PM  

adorable!

Jessica @ This Blessed Life July 7, 2010 at 7:01 AM  

The whole room is cute but I am a sucker for monograms so my favorite part is "A" shelf! :)

TBonesMom July 7, 2010 at 8:29 AM  

The A's and the closet are my favorite part! :)

Jessica July 7, 2010 at 8:44 AM  

I adore the "A" shelf. The color is an excellent choice as well.

Tina July 7, 2010 at 11:43 AM  

I'm sorry I just re-read it and you did mention where you got it. Lovely job!

Anonymous July 7, 2010 at 12:27 PM  

Her room is so cute! I love her "A" shelf! What a fun idea!

Anonymous July 7, 2010 at 12:27 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures July 7, 2010 at 8:08 PM  

Fun and bright colors. I really like your big girl room. Those old desks are something I always love to see. I have been wanting to get one, but really don't have a place for it.

Kat July 7, 2010 at 10:02 PM  

Beautiful room!! She's lucky to have such a cute place and I loooove all the A's.

Christie July 7, 2010 at 11:25 PM  

Yes, I love the A's, too! I have an 'A' child..Ashlyn would LOVE this! I just found your lovely site and added my room redo to the link! My youngest daughter is 4, so we gave her room a facelift from the baby room that she was in! Come see at http://threepixielane.blogspot.com/2010/07/swedish-intent.html.

Thanks!

Unknown July 8, 2010 at 7:02 AM  

Such a cute little room!! Thanks for sharing! :) Love the A's by the way! :)

Jill@Barnes Yard July 8, 2010 at 8:38 AM  

Aw, a cute girly, girl room! Love it!

Mandy July 8, 2010 at 10:11 AM  

Very cute room! LOVE the desk. LOVE.

Staci J July 8, 2010 at 12:46 PM  

I LOVE the colors! The A shelf is darling. Visiting from justsewsassy.com

KristiYaYa July 9, 2010 at 1:36 AM  

Great room! I'm loving the GOLDEN BOOKS from your childhood! <---SCORE!

Nikki July 9, 2010 at 2:41 PM  

So cute! I am just about ready to give AnnaLauren a "big girl" room and I may steal the A Shelf idea. Have a great weekend!

Leanne July 9, 2010 at 8:19 PM  

Her room is so cute. That little desk is adorable. I love all the A's too and of course the organized closet is my fav. What a fun room. Thanks for joining We're Organized Wednesday.

Related Posts with Thumbnails