Thursday, May 13, 2010

Baby Girl Nursery

I'm excited to be the lucky one to share with you a little girl's nursery this week! This nursery has gone through many changes, including moving locations in the house. Now it is satisfying all of our needs and wishes and I couldn't be more pleased. This room, more than any other in our house is full of family heirlooms, and I wouldn't have it any other way!



When you walk into the room the first thing you see is the feature wall. This wall includes a vinyl monogram, some outdated baby pictures (sorry!), some custom embellishments as well as a painting I did way back in high school (finally a place to put it!).



One of our favorite little corners of the room is the rocker and reading nook. This was a very inexpensive way to go for a rocker. We bought a standard front porch rocker for under $100. We have certainly gotten our use out of it, and figure that someday when our house has no room for it, our back porch will! Interestingly enough, it is the only piece of furniture in this room that we purchased. Everything else is hand-me-down or gifted, which I love!



The book shelf in this corner came from my husband's childhood room. A quick couple of coats of white paint, and it was as good as new. I love having little pieces of our past all over our baby girls room. Above the shelf we just put up a few, again outdated pictures. The vintage baby print mixed in there is a family hand-me-down that brings even a bit more meaning into the room.



Another little corner of the room is dedicated to the dresser. This belonged to me as a little girl. I still remember sanding down the natural wood and painting it white with my father what seems like a million years ago. I know I will give in soon, but I still haven't been able to paint a fresh coat over those memories. Embarrassingly enough, two knobs are still missing. I am still on the search for the perfect knobs for the dresser. On top of the dresser is a revamped jewelry box used for hair bows, a vintage rocking horse music box from my great aunt, and probably the cutest lamp I have ever seen, a steal at Homegoods!



Turning the corner from the dresser you see the changing table. I HATE changing tables, however, I managed to find one I thought fit great into the room and received it as a baby gift. I do have to say I love the storage it provides. Above it is one of my favorite little details in the room. This shelf was also in my childhood room. It has a book page flower wreath I blogged about a couple of months ago here. The blocks on top were a hand made gift from a friend.



Looking back towards the door you can see the crib. It used to be my little brothers, and I love the contrasting wood with all of the room's other white furniture. You have probably noticed the pom poms hanging throughout the room. Once our baby girl grew out of her mobile, I wanted to come up with something to hang from her ceiling for some interest, and settled on tissue paper pom poms. My daughter is fascinated by them still at 16 months. I appreciated how light of a solution they were. I can rest easy at night knowing there's nothing too heavy hanging over my baby's head at night!




I wanted to go ahead and show you elements inspired by the original nursery. I started with a bumble bee theme which has now been overwhelmed by a million other things. The first picture below is of a mobile I made before my daughter was born. I hand knitted little yellow bees and embellished them with ribbon stripes. I hung my creations from a simple metal rod circle covered in pink polka dot ribbons. I was inspired by many of the mobiles Pottery Barn had out then.



To go along with the mobile, I mounted scrapbook paper behind simple black and white matts, which then stamped a bumble bee on. These can still be found in the nursery on the feature wall.



In the end, we are very pleased with our daughters room. Though it will soon become a toddler's room, I am excited about the elements we are enjoying now, knowing they will transition well with our little girl. There is plenty of room to play, but also many personal touches that keep the room both unique and interesting. The perfect room for the perfect little girl!



Hope you can gleam some inspiration from our heirloom nursery. Like I said last week, I am filling up my tiny house, full to the brim, with happiness and meaning.

11 comments:

Jessica May 13, 2010 at 7:26 AM  

Patrice, this is the sweetest little room for the sweetest little girl. I'm in love with the mobile! I only need a reason to make one...wonder if it would help me sleep....hmmm...adult mobile...the next best thing...I'm on to something.

Tiffany May 13, 2010 at 8:04 AM  

What a beautiful room! Love, love, love the shelf with the blocks on top and the sweater and wreath hanging! Perfect.

Also, that bumble bee mobile you made was awesome! Way to go!

Love the pillow on the rocker too! It's all just so sweet and I love it!

Kari May 13, 2010 at 9:51 AM  

I love your sweet nursery! It is so cute and different from all the same things you constantly see in other nurseries. I'd like to sleep there! :)

Amy May 13, 2010 at 10:05 AM  

So cute and sweet all at the same time! I love your amazing details. I definitely have a heart for the tissue poms! Great colors! The roses on your rocker pillow are precious!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver May 13, 2010 at 4:04 PM  

Love your little girls room. We have a ton of grand-boys, and only 2 grand-girls...so I don't get to look at baby girl rooms much, (we finally have a grand-girl due in Aug 2010)

Great to see an actual rocking chair, you see lots of gliders now days...I own one myself, but I love the motion and creaking of a rocking chair. I have my grandmothers in which she rocked my daddy, me and my oldest (her great grand). Now I rock my grands in it.

Give us a close picture of those knobs so we can help you look!
That is going to drive me crazy. lol

Love the posts from the Lemon Tree Creations!
I only recently became a follower, I think through Poppies - Home tour week-

Lisa May 13, 2010 at 5:10 PM  

Gorgeous! I am in love with the mobile! I've never seen anything like it and it's so pretty! You created a beautiful nursery!

jayayceeblog May 14, 2010 at 8:15 AM  

They're all such great elements, I'm not sure what grabs me the most. Love the paint color with white trim, the tissue paper flowers, the little knitted bees, great changing table, the rocker. You have outdone yourself!

Kelli W May 15, 2010 at 7:08 AM  

I love the shelf over the changing table! And the pom pom are so cute and girly!

anne maskell May 15, 2010 at 9:51 AM  

lovely room!So nice that you could integrate things from your and your husbands childhood to make this room special. I found you on t&j, and I'll be visiting again!

kim west May 15, 2010 at 11:00 AM  

gave you lovely ladies an award at my blog

kimboscrafts.blogspot.com

Erin A May 15, 2010 at 6:52 PM  

Her room is so adorable!! I love those bumble bees on the mobile, and you knitted them? Great job!! Love all of the bright touches of color around the room, a perfect touch with the subtle wall color. And I agree about the crib being a nice contrast with all of the white furniture, it looks perfect!

Related Posts with Thumbnails