Thursday, July 1, 2010

Coke Bottle Bouquet

I always find it difficult around this time of year to bring the holiday into my house. Don't get me wrong, I am a holiday girl through and through. However, I struggle with the commitment to "red, white and blue," seeing as how they don't match anything else in my decor. Anyway, as I racked my brain this year to come up with something to show my patriotic spirit, I came upon old, classic, glass coke bottles.



I decided that 4 small glass bottles would create just the right bouquet. So, for this project I needed only 5 things: Clear Gorilla Glue, glass coke bottles, small mounting plate of some sort, a rubber band and some gorgeous flowers.



First, I used the Gorilla Glue to adhere the bottles to each other at their bases. It took FOREVER to dry, but worked well in the end. I used the rubber band during this stage as my 'clamp' while I let the bottles set and dry for a couple of hours.



For my mounting plate, I went with a small 2.5 inch mirror. I wanted something inconspicuous and the mirror just reflected the coke bottles and disappeared. Mounting the coke bottles to the plate with glue made the whole centerpiece sturdier and the mirror was perfect for the job. (Plus it was only $.99, so it was even more perfect for the job!)



I should add that the mirror came with bumpers on the bottom, so it is fabulous for putting on dining tables, coffee tables or just about any sensitive surface.



Once the glue dried, I was getting excited. Though I hope to use my little vase throughout the summertime and maybe even beyond, I decided I should throw together a little flag to be just a little more festive for now.



I stopped by my local grocery store and a few bucks later walked out with the perfect white flowers. I added one stem to each vase, plus a little greenery. Though the stems are separated in the different bottles, choosing fuller blooms gave my bouquet a seamless look.



My mind has started to spin with the possibilities since this was so easy. I am seeing a 10 coke bottle long Christmas runner in my future...hmm. I love the classic feel of the bottles and so for now they are screaming summer time in my living room.



Oh, an added bonus, the sunlight catches in the multiple bottles, mirror and water and just bounces off everywhere. I love it!

Hope you enjoyed this simple project. It was so quick and easy, you still have time to make a few 4th party centerpieces too! I'll be linking up to these parties this week, plus the CSI "Red, White and Blue" challenge. Hope you'll stop by and check them out!

Visit thecsiproject.com

Have a happy long weekend!

Oh and...
Visit thecsiproject.com

yay!

30 comments:

Craftastic Life July 1, 2010 at 1:21 AM  

this is a fantastic idea! I've gotta try that! MOM loves fresh flowers and love Coca Cola even more!

Pam July 1, 2010 at 2:05 AM  

This is brilliant with the reflections of the water and mirror and all. Just great! :)

the thrifty ba July 1, 2010 at 5:59 AM  

great idea! my hubby loves when i do crafts with glass coke bottles! he is so very good at emptying them for me!

Amy July 1, 2010 at 6:15 AM  

Patrice,
Love this! The Coke bottles are a great American symbol and classic look. Great touch with the flag!

Erin A July 1, 2010 at 6:25 AM  

It looks gorgeous!! Classic and beautiful, perfect!!

Tiffany July 1, 2010 at 8:38 AM  

LOVE this! Turned out gorgeous and the Coke bottles are so fun and classic! The flag is adorable too!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate July 1, 2010 at 9:01 AM  

That is just so perfect for summer, plus a great way to re-purpose the bottles.

Patti July 1, 2010 at 9:06 AM  

What a beautiful and creative idea. thank you for sharing.

Blessings,
Patti (Fill My Cup with Beauty)

Jessica July 1, 2010 at 10:04 AM  

Patrice, I adore the simplicity of the Coke bottle bouquet. So classic! Love it!

Tara July 1, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

Adorable. And I love the flag too!

Krista@RustikChic July 1, 2010 at 10:44 AM  

I love Coke and flowers, so ya got me with this one.;) What a great idea! What a perfect centerpiece for a summer BBQ..love it!

Unknown July 1, 2010 at 11:56 AM  

that is too adorable! i love it

Carol July 1, 2010 at 9:17 PM  

This is TOO CUTE and so versatile... great ideas on your blog, by the way!

Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block July 2, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

I love your coke bottle centerpiece! It turned out so cute -- and SO patriotic! Great job!

Ooh, and congrats on making the top 10 on CSI challenge!! :)

Cambria July 2, 2010 at 11:00 AM  

I too have trouble committing to all red, white, & blue - but I love this idea and arrangement. Such a fabulous idea. Great job on the tutorial and very pretty flowers. :) I want to run out right now and do this myself, especially since we are avid coke/diet coke drinkers around here, it couldn't be more perfect/fitting! :)

Tammy @ tinselshop.com July 2, 2010 at 11:45 AM  

LOVE this idea! So simple and fun, perfect to leave out all summer. You are right the possibilities are endless!

Best wishes,
Tammy

Nana's Fun Stuff July 2, 2010 at 12:16 PM  

So cute and simple!! Love it!

Nana's Fun Stuff July 2, 2010 at 12:16 PM  

So cute and simple!! Love it!

Something Nice and Pretty July 2, 2010 at 12:25 PM  

I'm going to try this...really and neat project!

Rondell

seemommyknit July 2, 2010 at 12:45 PM  

I live in Atlanta-so of course i LOVE this project!! So cute!!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans July 3, 2010 at 8:36 AM  

I love this!

Congrats on making the top 10!

I featured your here:
http://firefliesandjellybeans.blogspot.com/2010/07/last-minute-4th-of-july-projects-from.html

jOni lAnE July 3, 2010 at 4:44 PM  

thank you for sharing! i've been keeping some old coke bottles, but wasn't sure what to do with them...now i know!
smiles,
j

Stephanie Cameron July 4, 2010 at 1:42 AM  

This is so cute! Those white flowers are gorgeous...and the little flag is the perfect touch. Do you think it is necessary to glue the bottles together? Why not just set them together?

Alison @ Welcome Sunshine Home July 5, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

I love how they catch the light!

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple July 6, 2010 at 3:05 PM  

That is so fun and creative!!!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy July 7, 2010 at 9:43 AM  

I am so fascinated with this idea! I can't wait to to make my own!! I featured this idea on my "Wednesday's Wowzers". Here is the link:

http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/2010/07/wednesdays-wowzers-inspiration-while-im.html

Thank you so much for sharing!!
~Alison

Unknown July 8, 2010 at 9:38 AM  

Sooo cute!! Love the nostaligic look of the coke bottles. :)

Eos Mom July 9, 2010 at 12:58 PM  

I love anything Coke-related so I think that's an awesome centerpiece! Nicely done!

Leanne July 9, 2010 at 8:42 PM  

So cute! I love your take on the red, white and blue. Thanks for joining We're Organized Wednesday.

Kathryn July 11, 2010 at 1:07 AM  

Adorable idea!

Related Posts with Thumbnails