Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Eek! Wreath {A Silhouette Project}

Halloween is just about a month away now, practically right around the corner! It's no surprise that I love to make a  fun wreath to help celebrate the holidays. I still love my wreath from last year for outside, but wanted something new to hang inside the door this year too! Since the wreath was going to be away from 'the elements,' I decided to put my Silhouette SD to work to help create a ribbon and paper wreath.

Here is what I came up with:

I won't bore you with the obvious details since I pretty much just combined a myriad of different wreath styles we've all seen before, but I will highlight the different parts of the wreath and give you a quick run down of what I used to create it. 

I grabbed a bunch of supplies to start with, not knowing what I would use and not use. I used the wire ring as the base of the wreath, and began by tying ribbon in varying colors and sizes in knots around about a third of the wire base.
 Next,  I used my Silhouette SD to cut out scalloped circles in varying sizes and two different colors. I found a layout I liked and covered the remaining two-thirds of the wire base. I used hot glue to keep the circles in place.
I decided I needed some more volume on the paper side of the wreath, so I created some scalloped paper flowers to sort of mimic clouds. Then, I used my Silhouette SD to cut out bats in varying sizes. I created a crease down the center to create death and give them the fling illusion, then glued them in an ascending  fashion 'flying' us the side of the wreath.
 
 As a finishing touch, I added one of my favorite spooky words, eek! (I used this last year in my pumpkin display too.) I picked a fun font from my computer and cut it out from a thick orange cardstock using the Silhouette as well.
And that was is! I tied a big orange bow on the top to hang it with because, come on, who doesn't love a GIANT bow? What do you think?
Have a fun holiday wreath you've been working on? I would LOVE to see it. Upload your version of the paper wreath to our Flickr sight, or leave a comment with your latest and greatest wreath here.

{I'll be linking to the CSI Fall Projects.}
Visit thecsiproject.com 

And just in case you are interested...
{Last year's wreath, the shoes wreath}
Happy Wednesday!

9 comments:

Sandy September 28, 2011 at 9:38 AM  

That is soooo cute!! I really need one of those Silhouette machines.

Stacey Stuwe September 28, 2011 at 11:50 AM  

Yes, very cute! You are so creative, I am so glad I found your blog!!

Alli September 28, 2011 at 1:36 PM  

I love your wreath, and I'm not even really a wreath person!

Shug September 28, 2011 at 2:47 PM  

So cute, so simple and so inexpensive. My kind of creativity..
Thanks for sharing
shug

Claudia Almandoz Gerbolini September 29, 2011 at 8:08 AM  

I love this idea...I´ve been searching for the perfect wreath, but I need to integrate it with our "Día de Muertos" tradition... you´ve definitely inspired me though!!!! Have a beautiful day! Greetings from Mexico!
Clau
http://handmadeconamor.blogspot.com

The Single Nester September 29, 2011 at 4:02 PM  

What a fun wreath! Looks great.

Stephanie September 30, 2011 at 1:16 PM  

This is really cute--I love all the patterns you mixed.

Karie @ The HoB October 1, 2011 at 9:14 PM  

Yup it is official I NEED a Silhouette! Love the wreath!!

Unknown October 2, 2011 at 12:35 AM  

This is beautiful! I love the way it turned out. You did it a great job. Would love if you would link these up to the Scatter Girls' Fall Front Porch Party going on now: http://scattergirls.blogspot.com/2011/09/fall-porch-linky-party.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails