Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fabric Memory Game

It all started with this photo from Pinterest.  It was love at first sight.  Are you kidding me?  Fabric Memory.  Why didn't I think of that?  A game for kids that involves beautiful fabric?  That is right up my alley.  I couldn't stop thinking about it.  Seriously.  I have issues.

photo from the Purl Bee via pinterest 
But, come on, look at the fabric they used.  Gorgeous.  Heavenly.  I couldn't get my hands on fabric that beautiful.  However, I did use up some pretty scraps so that is a good thing, right?

When we were invited to a two year old birthday party, I knew it was time.  Time to make the Fabric Memory Game I had been dreaming of.

I followed the tutorial found here.  It was a perfect tutorial.  Beautiful photos and so easy to understand.  


This was a time consuming project for me but totally worth every minute.  


Mine are not nearly as perfect as the ones you will see in the tutorial.  Yikes.  I dream of being that good one day.

I wrote my crooked stitching and lopsided squares off as "adding character".  Works for me.


I just stared at them for a long time.  Almost didn't give them away.  It was that kind of present, you know the kind.


I didn't want to just throw the game in a plastic baggie.  That is no fun.  So next in order was a felt holder for the game.  

I used the same color felt as the Memory squares.  I began with two pieces of felt approximately 9" x 11".  

I found some scrap ribbon for the button loop closure and to finish off the top of the bag.  I looped the smaller ribbon and then pinned a wider ribbon the length of the bag top.


I pinned a ribbon on the other side too.


Then I hit the sewing machine to straight stitch that ribbon to the top of the bag and I also stitched the two pieces of felt together to form the holder.

I folded over the top to make a pencil mark where the button should go.  I sewed the button in place.


Now I had a fabric bag to hold my Fabric Memory Game.  Woohoo!


And the button closure worked like a charm and looked cute too!


I tucked the game squares neatly in the bag.  I am pretty sure I had a huge smile on my face the whole time.  These things really do make me giddy.


Seriously though, how cute does that look when you peek into the bag?


I added a tag to the front hanging from the button so the momma of the birthday girl would know what the gift was.


You want to make one now, don't you???  


I even had a preschool teacher that was also a guest at the party come up to me afterwards and ask if I could make her one for her classroom.  Pretty cool.  Although, I had just finished them up and so the idea of starting a whole new set made me want to take a nap.  : )

Thanks for visiting Lemon Tree today!  I will be partying at these fabulous blogs this week!  

Happy Tuesday!

15 comments:

Unknown September 6, 2011 at 5:43 AM  

What a beautiful idea! Almost too pretty to play with. ;)

Unknown September 6, 2011 at 6:16 AM  

I am definitely making one of these! Or maybe several! This is such a wonderful idea. We have a party next week and i was wondering what to give. Thanks :)

TBonesMom September 6, 2011 at 7:53 AM  

Perfect! Is it weird that I'm grown & want one? Maybe someday for my grandkids. :)

Stephanie September 6, 2011 at 8:31 AM  

Awesome idea! You did a great job. My squares probably would have been lopsided, as well. But, who cares! It's amazing. :)

Erin A September 6, 2011 at 9:27 AM  

This is so beautiful!! When the birthday girl opened them I would have had to restrain myself from taking them all out and laying them out like you did in the picture! And then framing them like that. :)

Seriously, so adorable. Great job and great inspiration!

Heidi September 6, 2011 at 10:04 AM  

So cute! I may have to make some, though it would probably take me forever.

Nan ~ Playful Decor September 6, 2011 at 11:53 AM  

Oh I love it! And the carrying case is perfect.

Wanted you to know that Erin's nursery was featured at Tuesday's Nursery party! Thank you for linking up!

And I forgot to link up on Thursday to yours - Thurs right?. My hub snagged me for lunch for our 10th anniversary (on Friday), but he kept surprising me for a few days!

Have a great week! I'll email you the featured button.
Nan

Unknown September 6, 2011 at 1:04 PM  

Gosh, I don't know if I'd have the patience but this is such a great scrap buster, I might have to give it a go. Great job! I especially love the pouch to keep it all in.

Brooke September 6, 2011 at 11:27 PM  

Those are adorable! I might attempt to make them for my little ones. So fun!

Thanks for posting.

Helle Koed September 7, 2011 at 1:11 AM  

So beautiful...! :)
Have never seen fabric memory - but what a perfect idea - also for a gift! :)
I have for some time wanted to make a memory - with my own illustrations and patterns - maybe it is time to get startet. :)
Have a nice day you... ;)

KendasCrafts September 7, 2011 at 10:14 AM  

great idea! I have so much fabric I could use for this!

JustForDaisy September 8, 2011 at 1:53 AM  

Arghghhh!!! I've pinned this on Pinterest too!
You're making it very hard for me to keep this project at bay! I think I'll have to give it a shot for my 1 year old! :)

Patrice September 8, 2011 at 1:15 PM  

I need one of these! L would LOVE it. I think it turned out perfect Tiffany, character and all!

Emily September 9, 2011 at 9:18 PM  

What a great way to use scraps! Adorable!

The mum of all trades September 10, 2011 at 4:41 AM  

I love this! Such a great idea. I'd love if you'd share it at my blog hop this weekend.Hope you can join in!

Related Posts with Thumbnails