Friday, April 9, 2010

Reclaimed T-Shirts

As a home owner, I found out really quick that the project list has become more of an encyclopedia (as I'm sure most of you know). I'm in the process of finishing a bedroom, which is when I realized I was in need of some wall art. So, I started thumbing around and found myself in the closet going through old clothes. In return I came up with these textile pieces.


Materials: scissors, staple gun, old shirts and a canvas (which I bought at hobby lobby 50% off) or you could make your own which is normally the cheaper route.


The first thing you'll want to do is find a shirt to fit the canvas you want to use. My canvas is 12X12 so almost any size shirt will do and the graphics will fit nicely. I am using a medium on this particular project.

Begin by cutting your material at the seam and placing it on the canvas in preparation for permanent placement.



Next pull the fabric tight around all edges and use a staple gun to secure it. I like to start at the sides and finish with the bottom. Once the fabric is tight, tuck in any remaining fabric between the canvas and the wood.

For an added touch, I chose to use chip board numbers and an old beaded necklace. I printed some patterns on cardstock from a book I have: The Repro Depot Pattern Book



Trace the number backwards on the backside of the printed paper, cut it out and apply it to the chip board using mod podge.




I used a hot glue gun to apply the number and the beaded necklace.



Some other fun ideas could be old flags, table cloths, place mats, shower curtains and well you get the idea!

Stop by these party links to see what wonderful things are out there. Thanks for stopping by!

26 comments:

Lee-Ellen Van Voorhis April 9, 2010 at 5:38 AM  

This would be a great way to display a souvenir T-shirt that you no longer wear, but love it because of the memories. Great idea!

Patrice April 9, 2010 at 5:46 AM  

So great! I love the moose :)

Tiffany April 9, 2010 at 7:12 AM  

This is a fabulous idea, Jessica! I love it! So creative. That one with the ruffle down the middle is my favorite! : ) Also, I love the necklace and the moose. I guess I just love it all. The numbers are great too. I can never get enough polka-dots! So clever!

Erin A April 9, 2010 at 8:14 AM  

Oh my gosh I love these!!! Love the numbers, the necklace, the moose, the colors, it all looks so great. Great pictures too, as always! :)

TBonesMom April 9, 2010 at 8:24 AM  

This would also be great for some of my daughter's old softball jerseys/t-shirts...what a great way to preserve a memory!

Nicely done. :)

House Queen April 9, 2010 at 9:37 AM  

Girl! these are so darling!!! You are quite brilliant!!!

M.O.T.B April 9, 2010 at 11:14 AM  

Way cool! Thank you for your wonderful ideas!

Amy April 9, 2010 at 11:46 AM  

Oh my goodness! So cute and practical all at the same time!

Unknown April 9, 2010 at 1:02 PM  

New to your blog and I am loving it! This is a GREAT idea! I have a step-son's room to do by June, this will help! (and you are right, the list never ends!!!)

hugs
Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
party inspiration

bilbiochic April 9, 2010 at 2:19 PM  

that is brilliant!! so simply, yet it has such a big impact!!
thanks for sharing
xoxo
tod

Unknown April 9, 2010 at 5:13 PM  

Love your blog, following from new friend Friday!

~Lauri
http://knitsandreads.blogspot.com
l_meinhardt@yahoo.com

Laura April 9, 2010 at 6:12 PM  

This would be great in a kids room! You could totally take it all apart and use the canvas again when their interests (or love of Bob the Builder, or whatever) change. Great idea!

Cris April 9, 2010 at 9:03 PM  

here from NFF! I love this idea, I've been looking for something for over my headboard, I'm redoing my room in navy themed, so I'm excited to give this a try!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans April 10, 2010 at 12:07 AM  

WOW! That is a really cute and fun idea! I love the ruffle brown one! :) Very creative!

{oc cottage} April 10, 2010 at 1:30 AM  

HOW FUN!!!! What a great idea!!!

m ^..^

Keri April 10, 2010 at 6:21 PM  

Great idea! That would be great with band shirts. Thanks for sharing!

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise April 10, 2010 at 6:55 PM  

This is GREAT! I came from It's FUN to craft. As I browsed all the great links this one totally caught my eye.

I love the idea of using an old t shirt on a canvas.

I would love if you stopped by my blog someday.

Now I will have to browse the rest of this awesome blog.

Larissa
Just Another Day in Paradise
www.zitzmanfam.blogspot.com

Dianna@DecorMadeSimple April 11, 2010 at 11:34 PM  

Great art pieces. I like unique art, it's fun to display and create.

Jasmine April 11, 2010 at 11:58 PM  

A great idea for reusing t-shirts!

Tracey @ My House of Giggles April 12, 2010 at 10:30 AM  

What a great idea!!!! Thanks so much for sharing this...I can't wait to try my own :)

Come on over and link up at my Tuesday TALENT SHOW if you like :)

http://myhouseofgiggles.blogspot.com

Anonymous April 14, 2010 at 1:49 PM  

Lovely. We have so many sentimental tees, perfect project.

Stacey April 14, 2010 at 3:06 PM  

I love that. Such a great idea and with things you had. So cute! Thanks for sharing at 'Look at me, I'm SO Crafty!' at Fun to Craft!!

Nicole Maki April 16, 2010 at 4:46 PM  

Amazing idea.

I love all the cool details - very fun.

Tracey @ My House of Giggles April 19, 2010 at 10:05 PM  

Just letting you know that I featured your project here :

http://myhouseofgiggles.blogspot.com/2010/04/tuesday-talent-show-highlights.html

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy April 21, 2010 at 9:49 AM  

I can't stop thinking about this project.... it's such a cute idea!! I also featured this idea on my blog today and here is the link:

http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/2010/04/wednesdays-wowzers-crafting-add.html

Thanks for the inspiration!

Michelle @ 5 Forks June 9, 2010 at 10:01 AM  

I love this idea! I made these using letters instead of numbers. I blogged about them on my blog. Thanks for the inspiration.

Related Posts with Thumbnails