Monday, April 12, 2010

Easy, Easier, Easiest Displays

Ever since I started publicly showcasing some of the things that I make on this and my personal blog, I have been hearing the following comment in some form or another, “Well, I would make stuff too, but I’m just not crafty.” I then start into a tirade logical explanation on how, a lot of the things that I make don’t involve an ounce of craftiness or artistic training, but that sometimes it just involves me literally putting a few things together. Whomever has just received my verbal lashing quickly retreats with a “Well, I don’t know…” but it seems that they are secretly thinking that I possess some secret knowledge that they don’t. Therefore, I wanted to share a few of my most recent assembling-of-goods-into-something-pretty as a reminder that sometimes a little luck in the thrift store is more useful than a little talent.



Example #1: Easy


 

I neglected to get a before picture of this because I wasn’t planning to do a tutorial on it, given that the detailed instructions would be, “Buy these 2 things. Glue them together. The end.” I found the wooden plate and glass cover for $2.50 at Goodwill, headed over to the candlesticks, found one with a similar color of wood for $.69, headed home, added some Gorilla glue to the mix, and was done. The glass was heavier than I had originally thought, and with my toddler currently on a grabbing rampage I wanted it to be a little more stable. So I bought this little round wood piece for $.40 from Jo-Annes, stained it, and then glued it to the bottom of the candlestick.

Picnik collagel

Tada! This would be the end of the story, but since I can’t leave well enough alone/wanted a little more contrast with the wood in my kitchen, I painted mine a dusty blue from a leftover paint sample.

2010_04_11_8115l

Total time: Not including shopping, maybe 15 minutes. Craftiness: Not an ounce.



Example #2: Easier


 

What do you do when you see cute spring plates, but don’t actually need any plates? Buy a dinner and salad plate, add a candlestick, and turn them into a tiered display!

2010_04_01_7523l

I got these plates at Walmart, and the candle stick at Goodwill. I painted the wood on the candlestick white to go with the plates a bit better, then used my Gorilla glue to glue the big plate to the bottom of the candlestick, and the little plate to the top.

2010_04_10_8029l

Total time: 8 minutes, only because I was trying to be careful not to get the white paint onto the silver of the candlestick. Craftiness: Nada.



Example #3: Easiest


 

Go to thrift store on the day that they receive the truck, go straight to the glassware/house wares, buy darling glass containers that were previously unappreciated and vow not to make the same mistake. Bring them home and fill with goodies.

Picnik collageg

Total time: I don’t know, how quickly do you commit to your decor? I am indecisive and my displays are constantly evolving, but I promised you displays without craftiness not quick decorating! :) Craftiness: None whatsoever.

2010_04_10_8066

I hope these little projects have instilled a little bit of DIY confidence into you non-crafters. I will be linking to some fun parties here, so please take a look and support these amazing ladies! Have a great week!


46 comments:

Jessica @ This Blessed Life April 12, 2010 at 6:29 AM  

This was really funny, Erin - and I love all three projects - are those lentils? :)

Patrice April 12, 2010 at 6:49 AM  

I love that tiered plate! All three are so cute!

Julie April 12, 2010 at 7:27 AM  

Cute tiered plates!

Maria Babin April 12, 2010 at 7:36 AM  

sorry, but i never would've come up with that on my own! your talent is in your eye for beauty! thanks for sharing some great ideas! and double thanks for their simplicity

CourtneyKeb April 12, 2010 at 8:01 AM  

So lovely and simple and so very sweet!

TBonesMom April 12, 2010 at 8:43 AM  

I'm with BabinBlogger...don't downplay your natural eye and ability - you definitely have it and should be proud of it.

On the flip side, I agree that with the right instruction and supplies anyone can go to town on this!

Thanks LTC girls for keeping us all on our toes and our eyes peeled for bargains!

beckaboots April 12, 2010 at 11:57 AM  

These are all beautiful and peaceful looking. Great job! I might have to make a trip to the store and copy this!
-Bekah

I {heart} Nap Time April 12, 2010 at 11:57 AM  

cute! I have those same plates and love them! I'd love for you to link up over here.

Dr. Bun April 12, 2010 at 12:27 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jasmine April 12, 2010 at 12:28 PM  

Very pretty flowered plates! :)

Salty Gal April 12, 2010 at 12:48 PM  

What fun ideas! Thanks for sharing.

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something April 12, 2010 at 1:05 PM  

absolutely delightful! full of charm! I've been wanting to make one of those tiers. Yours is so cheerful! Hope to see you back at my place...

Kaysi April 12, 2010 at 1:21 PM  

Those look great!!!

Creations By Cindy April 12, 2010 at 3:04 PM  

Thanks for sharing. Be blessed. Cindy

KimMalk April 12, 2010 at 3:58 PM  

I agree with you - glad you had your tirade :).

momof3girls April 12, 2010 at 4:06 PM  

oh I love!!!! I love!! I love!!! Your treat server- double plate, dessert, or breakfast server - oh the possibilities are unlimited!! I have to try this!!!!

Unknown April 12, 2010 at 4:20 PM  

Simple, cheap and inspiring - what more could a girl want?!

Morgan//Nuts and Bows April 12, 2010 at 4:47 PM  

Wow!! I love all of these and those dishes are too cute!

Check out my new
GIVEAWAY!!!

~Morgan

Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!

Allison Shops April 12, 2010 at 5:15 PM  

So you're not crafty, but you are funny. ;) Enjoyed your post.

Bonnie April 12, 2010 at 6:18 PM  

I love the tiered plate. What a good idea!

Unknown April 12, 2010 at 6:56 PM  

Oh I just LOVE your blog...I am stalking you now :)

Pati @ A Crafty Escape April 12, 2010 at 8:40 PM  

I love your honesty! I need to find some plates to make one of those displays- I love it!

bilbiochic April 12, 2010 at 8:46 PM  

all of them are amazing but the tiered display with the plates?? so innovative!! thanks for sharing!!
xoxo
tod

Unknown April 12, 2010 at 9:50 PM  

These are fabulous ideas... We throw all sorts of baby showers and could use all of these in the decor!
We have a Friday Fun Finds party- if you're interested, we'd love it if you'd link to this!

Laurie April 13, 2010 at 2:15 AM  

I am not "crafty", but I am happy to steal (or use depending on you look at it) other people's ideas! I am going to try #2. I love it!

Heidi April 13, 2010 at 12:13 PM  

Yep, you're right. Those projects weren't hard, but you had the imagination to think of them, and the ability to think through the process and then complete them! Not everyone can do that! What great ideas, and you are lucky to have found that glass cover - I've been stalking the goodwill to no avail. Guess everyone around here has the same idea!
Anyway, nice job on all those projects.
XO
Heidi - Heart and Home

Unknown April 13, 2010 at 7:17 PM  

Awesome! love those plates. Thanks for linking up!

Helena April 14, 2010 at 9:07 AM  

I love this post. And I need guerrilla glue.

Thank you for linking this to A Little Craft Therapy with Life in the Pitts.

Niki Jolene April 14, 2010 at 1:32 PM  

Hi there! Niki here, stopping over from WFMW. I just wanted to pop in and check out your blog. I like what I see so far.

Stop by my blog, Free 2 Be Frugal, when you get a chance!

Love love LOVE these tutorials!

Delia April 15, 2010 at 1:00 AM  

I love this. The post was super clever too. I have been wanting to try a DIY cloche.

Jessica @ My Quarter Life Crisis April 15, 2010 at 8:01 AM  

totally bought those plates in the orange color! maybe ill take a few out and make a stand! this is my first time here (the horror) what an adorable blog :)

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans April 15, 2010 at 2:31 PM  

You are too cute! I love it! : ) All your projects are all "WOW" project but very easy for a new DIY-er to do! Great post! ;)

And I think you are still pretty crafty! : )

Sixty-Fifth Avenue April 15, 2010 at 2:53 PM  

I am loving the plate project! Great idea! I will be digging out some candle holders.

Kelley April 15, 2010 at 6:53 PM  

So true! Great reminders that everone has something in them, just give it a try =)

Kate April 15, 2010 at 8:19 PM  

Thanks for sharing. Great ideas!

Unknown April 16, 2010 at 1:06 AM  

I love easy, classy projects like this! It is just too cute!

TidyMom April 16, 2010 at 8:47 AM  

CUTE ideas!!

Thanks for linking up to I'm Lovin' It! Have a GREAT weekend!

Helena April 16, 2010 at 11:33 AM  

Hey there! I'm featuring this today. Because it's awesome.

And I wasn't kidding- I went to Target on my way home from work yesterday, and then stopped at the dollar store to get some candle holders. And right now my guerrilla glue is drying.

http://lanieree.blogspot.com/2010/04/featuring-you_16.html

Becca Ross April 16, 2010 at 12:09 PM  

This was too funny! I love your "writing voice". Thanks for linking to my party today! I hope you'll come back next week too!

Becca

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking April 16, 2010 at 1:26 PM  

Great examples! Thanks for sharing them at the POPP.

Amanda April 16, 2010 at 3:50 PM  

Oh. My. Gosh! That is brilliant! Seriously, I am in love with the candlestick trick to make food trays/displays. So awesome. I am not crafty at all, but I think I will try this.

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden April 18, 2010 at 4:42 PM  

Those are great examples! I really love the green tiered plate you made. I'm definitely going to look for those sweet green plates on my next trip to Walmart.

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours day! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Dana April 18, 2010 at 10:55 PM  

LOVE your creations! your post is great!

Stacey April 19, 2010 at 9:29 PM  

Oh, I just snagged some of these plates. I love them!! You did a great job. I love your project. Thanks for sharing at 'Look at me, I'm SO Crafty!' at Fun to Craft.

Unknown April 24, 2010 at 3:05 PM  

I love the tiered plate idea! Thanks for sharing!

The Polka Dot Closet May 29, 2010 at 9:29 PM  

I love the candle holder and the tiered plate! Great ideas. I am so glad i found your blog! I am a new follower. If you get a chance I would love for you to peek at my blog www.thepolkadotcloset.blogspot.com

Thank You Carol

Related Posts with Thumbnails