Tuesday, April 20, 2010

mini living room makeover

After 5 years in our house, I was ready for some serious changes. After reading blog after blog including The Lettered Cottage and The Shabby Nest (two of my very favorite), I felt so inspired to go ahead with the changes and not wait until I had more money. I made these changes about 1 year ago now, but they still make me smile so I thought I would share...

We opted not to re-paint at the time even though I wanted so badly to be done with the green walls. Instead, I decided to make the green work for me. I searched the house for things that were just lying around and put them to work. So, a few cans of spray paint, a couple trips to Ikea & Hobby Lobby, a yard sale or two and I've got the changes I was so desperately wanting.

The first thing I did was change the red candles next to the barn picture...


I bought some fake flowers at Hobby Lobby for about $3 and placed them in the candle holes. Such a simple change that could so easily go unnoticed, but I love it!

Then I added the jars that I bought at a yard sale for $9 and painted numbers on (you can read about those here)...


Next up was the brown mirror with hooks that we had received as a wedding gift...


We had a silver mirror in the basement from our apartment that I decided to try instead...


Next up were the couch pillows. My Mom had made me these when we first moved in. It is amazing how much my taste has changed in the last 5 years. I still think these are pretty, but just not the look I am going for anymore...


I found this beautiful Alexander Henry's Mirabelle fabric at this etsy shop . My Mom made me these pillow covers. I got 1 1/2 yards for $11.25. I was in love with it. The picture does not even do it justice. It is bright and happy. All the other changes are very classic and simple, but I always have fun with my pillows since they can be changed at any time...


I had striped curtains that matched one side of the couch pillows along with a red rug at the front door...


I just wanted some classic white curtains and that is when Ikea comes in handy. You can get two panels for $9.99. I got four of them so I only spent $19.98 + tax on new curtains. They hang nicely and don't get too wrinkled, love them. These made the biggest difference in the whole room.

I wanted a simpler rug too and found a solution at Ikea for $2.99. I got one for the front and back door...


Then there was the giant red chair we got when we were first married. It is the chair I nursed my babies in and oh so comfortable, but I was over it and ready to see it go. I sold it on craigslist (& 1 year later, my husband is still bitter about it)...


I found a temporary replacement in our basement. It is a little black chair that just needed a fresh coat of spray paint and a little number sticker for character. Still saving for a more permanent solution.


The last thing I worked on were the frames on the wall. I wanted to add black in the room and loved the way it looked against the green wall so I took down the old shelves and frames...


and replaced them with some with other frames from the basement and around the house. I spray painted them all black and distressed them. To fill them, I printed a picture of Avery, cut around it and traced it onto black paper for her silhouette. I also used iron-on transfer paper to get the word family on a piece of orange dotted fabric. I just had to include a wedding picture and the other is an old picture of my Mom with my grandparents and some siblings.


So, this mini living room makeover actually cost me nothing since I sold the old pillows, curtains, and chair on craigslist. Although, I am still searching for the perfect chair replacement, and then there is the strong desire for a new entertainment stand. Oh, well. It's a work in progress for sure, but that is the fun part. Small changes can make such a big impact.

I am joining these fabulous link parties, so come on over, check out all the amazing talent, and show us your latest project!


22 comments:

Amy April 20, 2010 at 7:49 AM  

Your house is always so warm and inviting! I just love your vision for decorating!

ClassyGal April 20, 2010 at 8:49 AM  

I love the framework. Good job!

Mama Thompson April 20, 2010 at 8:56 AM  

It looks so great....love the fabric...the candlestick change...the chair...just looks happy and spring!

Heidi April 20, 2010 at 9:26 AM  

Love the changes you made. It's amazing how such small changes can make such a big impact! I love that you mostly just used what you had!

TBonesMom April 20, 2010 at 9:39 AM  

I can't lie baby sis...I'm still bitter about the chair too. *sigh*

Moving onward, I like this post...you do so much with so little and it's great. :o)

Heidi April 20, 2010 at 10:29 AM  

Well, it all looks really nice. Amazing how a few simple changes can change the look of the entire room! Great job.
XO
Heidi - Heart and Home

Lisa B. April 20, 2010 at 11:29 AM  

You did a great job. Love how the small changes make such a big impact.

Becca Ross April 20, 2010 at 11:37 AM  

I had the exact same floral and striped Waverly fabrics in my old living room. It really is amazing how our tastes change in just a few years. Your room is beautiful!

Patrice April 20, 2010 at 12:33 PM  

I still love that frame wall. Such great choices you made throughout the whole room! So warm and inviting.

Morgan//Nuts and Bows April 20, 2010 at 1:12 PM  

Too cute! I love what you did, the barn pic is so awesome!!

~Morgan

Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} April 20, 2010 at 2:24 PM  

I love the fabric you bought for you new pillows! So bright and cheery! Great mini make over as well. I will be moving in 3 weeks and can't wait to see what I will be able to do in the new house.

Bibliochic April 20, 2010 at 4:27 PM  

i love the mini makeover!! i know its small... but i love the 1, 2, 3 jars by the painting! they are such a sweet detail. thanks for sharing!
xoxo,
tod @ http://bibliochicshop.blogspot.com/

Erin A April 20, 2010 at 4:40 PM  

I do love all of these new additions! I'd go crazy over that pillow fabric too, it is so fun! Great little changes, they really do make a big difference.

Ana B. April 20, 2010 at 5:16 PM  

great inspiration! Love the fabric, for sure makes everything looks so happy :)

Jaedyn April 20, 2010 at 7:36 PM  

I love that you're inspiring others to make little changes that will feel like a huge makeover! And not to expensively, either. :-) Ikea is THE way to go, I LOVE it!

Rebecca April 20, 2010 at 8:30 PM  

I love all of your changes! It's so important to remember that sometimes all it takes are a few SMALL changes to make a big difference (especially when we're all trying to save some $$$). I'm planning a living room makeover this summer and I'll definitely revisit your post for some more inspiration!

Unknown April 22, 2010 at 7:30 AM  

Very pretty! I just had to click on your link because I'm in the midst of doing my own "living room mini-makeover"--sponsered by thrift shops, Ikea, & yard sales (we don't have a HL near us and I see SOOO many people post about it!! WAHHHHHH!!!!) Great ideas! Now I'm even more inspired to finish mine!!!

Helena April 22, 2010 at 11:57 AM  

I LOVE your makeover! The flowers are such a pretty little detail. And I have Ikea curtains too- they are the best deal ever. Everything looks so good!

Thank you for linking this to A Little Craft Therapy, with Life in the Pitts.

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden April 22, 2010 at 10:54 PM  

Very nice! I love that new fabric too and the black frame arrangement looks great!

Thanks for sharing at Make it Yours Day!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans April 23, 2010 at 9:50 AM  

Great job so far! I had those same pillows you had before (The same fabric anyways) and We just got new pillows recently too! : )

Andy Porter April 23, 2010 at 3:39 PM  

Everything looks wonderful!

FrouFrouBritches April 24, 2010 at 8:03 AM  

Gorgeous! I love that Mirabelle fabric. It's hard to find. I may have to hop on over and get me some. the new curtains are great too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails