Friday, April 16, 2010

Paint Can Gifts

Working in the schools, I was once given a very creative gift: a paint can. Not just any old paint can, this one was festively decorated with incredibly yummy treats inside. This paint can was my inspiration for a new cute, different, and economical signature gift from our family.

I realized that I could use this idea for children's birthday gifts.

I've done various versions. I started with an empty paint can found at Home Depot (for around $5).

Then I decided to cover the can with brown wrapping paper, adding ribbon around the top and bottom. You could easily use any form of paper or fabric covering. This step was the most tedious tracing the exact shape and cutting out the holes for the handles (I first removed the handle so I could cover the paper around the holes). I also covered the top of the lid in coordinating paper. For other kids, I kept the metal paint can plain and made magnetic letters from chipboard letters. That way, the kids can take off their letters and use them around their house.

I filled the cans with various art supplies. I tried to gather a variety of art such as paint, brushes, smock, paint pens, glue, scissors, crayons, small coloring books, stickers, pom poms, squiggly eyes...the list could go on! You could also fill the can with just about anything-felt food as Tiffany shared with us a few weeks ago, bean bags, small dress-up clothes, plastic magnetic alphabet letters and numbers, blocks, Easter eggs with shredded Easter grass/paper, school supplies, scrapbooking supplies. You could then decorate the outside with any coordinating colors using scrapbook paper, fabric, wrapping paper, ribbon, stickers, spray paint, and even a brown paper grocery bag to be more green.

Enjoy your weekend and don't forget to check out these link parties!



21 comments:

Patrice April 16, 2010 at 7:15 AM  

I love these! I have so many small paint cans from tons of projects, reusing them sounds like this is a fabulous idea. Your so clever!

Alyssa April 16, 2010 at 7:59 AM  

Super cute and creative Amy! I love it!

TBonesMom April 16, 2010 at 8:30 AM  

Really, really, really cute!

Becca Ross April 16, 2010 at 12:05 PM  

Great project! I'll make this as the gift bag for the art supplies I'm giving as a birthday day gift to a 9 year old girl. She'll love it! Thank you so much for linking this to my party. I hope you'll come next week too!

Erin A April 16, 2010 at 3:47 PM  

Great ideas!! I love the ones with the magnets, so that the kids can put their names up elsewhere. So cute!

ThriftyNiftyCrafter April 16, 2010 at 4:22 PM  

What a great idea love it

Unknown April 17, 2010 at 3:29 PM  

Love your little paint cans! I just did a paint can project for a class. Too fun!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy April 17, 2010 at 9:32 PM  

What a darling idea! I'm beginning to think I shouldn't throw ANYTHING away! :)

Kaysi April 19, 2010 at 1:01 PM  

What a great idea! I love how they turned out!

Stacey April 19, 2010 at 9:20 PM  

I love those! They are so cute!! Thanks for sharing at 'Look at me, I'm SO Crafty!' at Fun to Craft.

Becca Ross April 19, 2010 at 11:32 PM  

I made myself this paint can! Thanks, again, for the inspiration and linking up to my party. Hope to see you on Friday again! Here's the link where I talk about your project.

http://becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com/2010/04/linky-party-love.html

I didn't use any of your pictures because I didn't know if that was proper in the blog world. But, I did link back to your post!

Unknown April 21, 2010 at 8:16 AM  

What a great idea!
~Rebekah

Robyn April 21, 2010 at 8:59 AM  

I've also made these myself and they are SUCH a fun gift! yours are so very pretty! I totally love the idea of the art supply one! PERFECT!

Heather April 21, 2010 at 10:14 AM  

Great idea. I am going to a birthday party Saturday and the kid is getting this!

Thanks, and nice to meet you.

Kasey April 21, 2010 at 6:35 PM  

Love this idea! Thanks.

The Activity Mom April 21, 2010 at 9:15 PM  

So cute! If my son got this with a gift, I'd be thrilled. It can be used as a bucket later.

michelle@somedaycrafts April 22, 2010 at 12:07 AM  

Thanks for giving me a great idea for kids birthday presents, and so many more uses!! Great idea!! Thanks for linking up today and come grab a button, you were featured today!!

Helena April 22, 2010 at 12:29 PM  

This is a great idea!

Thank you for linking this to A Little Craft Therapy, with Life in the Pitts.

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans April 23, 2010 at 8:30 AM  

That is so cool! I Love it! :)

avisiontoremember April 24, 2010 at 9:35 AM  

That is a great idea! I have a link party today at www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com and would love it if you could stop by

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden April 24, 2010 at 11:43 PM  

Great idea. I love that you could personalize it by filling them up with differently themed things!

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours Day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails