Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Valentine's Day Decor

We switched days up on you all last week.  Erin was so gracious to post on Tuesday for me since I was crazy taking temperatures and giving out medication.  I am happy to be back on Tuesday and happy to have 3 kids that are {almost} all better!  

I love Valentine's Day but didn't actually start decorating for it until about two years ago when my oldest daughter was almost 3.  She loves the holiday more than most and loves to decorate like her Momma so I was inspired to create a few things for my little valentine.

I started with some pillows, of course.  Muslin is my go-to fabric.  I cut a big heart out of red felt that I just knew would make my girl smile...
    
And I also used another favorite, iron-on transfer paper to put the word "love" onto another pillow...
I got "green" with these pillows and stuffed them with plastic bags...

And we placed them on the bench in our kitchen...

Of course there had to be a banner.  I sewed around the edges and a flap at the top to pull the twine through.  I also cut out and then hand-stitched the white felt letters to the red fabrics.
I added some red felt hearts to the ends.  I added loops of white ribbon to the tops, stuffed them up, and hand-stitched all around the hearts.

The previous pics were from last year.  The walls are no longer green and my daughter added her own paper decorations this year without any assistance. It is only because I am crazy about my daughter and want to encourage her "decorating" that I allowed her to hang paper cupids on our fireplace.  Oh, the things we do for our children. But I was so very proud when I saw the finished product.  She apparently loves symmetry.  She is definitely her mother's daughter.

Then I placed the word love in a couple other places in the house...

And what would Valentine's Day be without some candy conversation hearts? 

I have been loving all the adorable Valentine's Day decor I have seen throughout blog land.  So much fun!  I'll be joining these fabulous parties this week!  

Happy Tuesday!

21 comments:

Geezees Custom Canvas Art January 25, 2011 at 7:09 AM  

Cute Valentines Day decor :)

TBonesMom January 25, 2011 at 7:41 AM  

My favorite is that big red felt heart pillow! I miss when my girl was little...brings back fond memories. :)

Erin A January 25, 2011 at 8:23 AM  

So cute, I love all of these things! Can't believe you hand stitched that whole banner, it's so cute! Love the big red hearts on the end!

Biz January 25, 2011 at 8:30 AM  

What a fun banner!
I'm working on a few Valentine Day decorations...I should be finished with and posting one this evening!
Have a Blessed Day!
Biz
http://busybizblogs.blogspot.com/

Alyssa January 25, 2011 at 8:43 PM  

You're always so creative with decorating, Tiffany! Kate saw me looking at this point earlier today, and remembered right away who's house it is! Then she wanted me to make a "love sign" for our fireplace.

Gina Thomas January 25, 2011 at 9:46 PM  

how fun! thanks for all these suggestions! I am so excited to try some of them out this weekend and finally get my house decorated for valentine's day!!!
:)gina
www.hiyaluv.com

The Autocrat: Haley January 25, 2011 at 10:46 PM  

I love the idea of using bags for stuffing!! I don't want to put pillows outside because I am grossed out about the fact that the mold might be growing on the inside of the stuffing ... atleast the bag can be changed out often without costing anything. Great idea!

Nicole @ Wohler's World January 25, 2011 at 11:04 PM  

I love the love frame inside the larger frame, great idea! A question, what's in the jars on the mantle?

Auntie Lolo January 26, 2011 at 6:36 AM  

Oh my goodness, I love everything! I featured the pillows on my blog, thanks for the great ideas!

Lois

www.auntielolocrafts.blogspot.com

Carol January 26, 2011 at 10:30 PM  

Can we say precious? You have an award over at my little blog. Have a great week!
Carol
antiquetexan.blogspot.com

Patrice January 27, 2011 at 11:18 AM  

Great ideas Tiffany! Love the idea of using plastic bags!

Anonymous January 27, 2011 at 8:55 PM  

Great ideas and as cute as a button.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Tiffany January 28, 2011 at 8:36 AM  

Hi Nicole! The jars on the mantle are full of dice, scrabble tiles, and right now some candy conversation hearts! : )

Brianna January 28, 2011 at 10:13 AM  

Very cute!! I will have to try that plastic bag idea! :)

Liz January 28, 2011 at 12:51 PM  

So cute! I love the pillows! I could see them on my bed year-round! I'd love for you to come link up at my party this weekend: http://fastdaze.blogspot.com/2011/01/linky-fridaze-3.html

Liz January 28, 2011 at 12:51 PM  

So cute! I love the pillows! I could see them on my bed year-round! I'd love for you to come link up at my party this weekend: http://fastdaze.blogspot.com/2011/01/linky-fridaze-3.html

Jennifer January 28, 2011 at 7:22 PM  

What great ideas - I love all of them! Following you now!!

Homeroad January 30, 2011 at 6:37 AM  

Hi Tiffany,
I "love" the love pillow... what kind of transfer paper did you use? I tried one for t-shirts that left a plastic border around everything... I think I used the wrong one. By the way.. I love the garbage bag stuffing. Thanks,
Susan

Tiffany January 30, 2011 at 6:39 AM  

Hi Susan. Thanks so much! I used Avery brand iron-on transfer paper. I have used a different kind before and it didn't work nearly as well. Avery brand is definitely easy to use and turns out great! : )

Kelly Oribine February 14, 2011 at 5:12 PM  

The plastic bag stuffing for the pillows is such a clever thrifty idea! I love it! One thing I'm curious about...do they sound crinkly if you squish them?

Tiffany February 15, 2011 at 7:37 AM  

Hi Kelly@imperfect homemaking.

Thank you for your comment! Yes, they do sound crinkly if you squish them and plastic bags are not comfortable to lay on. So I only use plastic bag stuffing for seasonal decor that is only out for about a month and they are not used on the couch, just a bench in the kitchen simply for looks! : )

Hope this helps you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails