Monday, January 10, 2011

30 Minute Scrapbook Valentine Wreath

Jan-5.jpg

I made this little wreath months ago to hang beside my front door, and though it's simple I really love it. The secret is that it was so easy, quick and inexpensive to make.

2010_03_21_7286.JPG

I started off with this fun piece of scrapbook paper with cursive handwriting all over it. I'm not sure what is says, but it looked sweet and a bit romantic so I grabbed a few pieces, and started cutting them into 1 inch wide strips with my paper cutter.

2010_03_21_7294.JPG

I got a round floral planter from the dollar store, cut it in half and started wrapping the strips around it. The glue didn't stick to the planter very well, so I wrapped each strip around the planter and used hot glue to secure each strip to the one next to it.

2010_03_21_7293.JPG

The back looked a little choppy...

2010_03_21_7290.JPG

but the front was perfect.

2010_03_15_7259_thumb.jpg

I then made a few pearl adorned book page flowers to attach to the front, similar to the Pearl Adorned Paper Blossoms I did months ago. I cut the scrapbook paper into a bunch of circles in various sizes, and did the same thing with a few pages from a book that I use for my book page crafts. I made sure that the circles were very rough so that piling them on top of one another would be more interesting-looking, meaning that some that were more oval than circular, and several had straight edges or points. Once I had a good stack of circles, I grabbed my brown and black stamp pads and inked the edges.

2010_04_25_8775_thumb.jpg

I then stacked a pile from largest to smallest, trimming up a few circles and sliding some of the “petals" out of the center a bit to make them stand out more. I poked a hole through the center of the flower and twisted the different circles around until I liked the arrangement.I then removed the push pin and replaced it with a brad to secure the blossom. I also added a little pearl embellishment to the brad to dress it up a bit.

2010_04_25_8779_thumb4.jpg

I wanted to blossom to have a little bit of a 3-dimensional aspect to it, so I took a few of the blossoms, cut a tiny slit from the edge to the center, pulled the two pieces together until they overlapped slightly, and glued them together with a glue stick. This gave that layer of the flower the slightest “cone” look and made the whole blossom pop.

2010_04_25_8782_thumb.jpg

I then layered the book page circles with the scrapbook page circles until I had a fun little blossom. I hot glued a push pin to the back of each blossom and stuck them into my planter wreath.

Jan-7.jpg

I attached a short strip of brown twine to the back of the wreath with 2 push pins to hang the wreath from.

Jan-9.jpg

Then I was done!

Jan-6.jpg

My intention for this wreath was that it would change with the seasons. The planter base gives me the flexibility to change up the blossoms regularly, because anything that you could attach a push pin to becomes the new temporary embellishment. I could also change out the short twine for something longer and hang it from a frame or in front of a mirror.

But I haven't changed it yet, not once. I'm just so in love with those little blossoms, I don't want to take them off! The addition of the book page paper helps them to pop from the background and I just really like them. Hopefully you'll have more imagination for your wreath, but if not, you'll still really love this one!

I'm linking to these incredible parties this week. Hope you'll check them out!

Also, we have some incredible giveaways these next few weeks that you won't want to miss, so be sure to check back with us! You won't regret it!!

See you next week!

E1025F317CFB5B8E9E5C526E5CC0F475 copy.png

32 comments:

Unknown January 10, 2011 at 6:25 AM  

It really looks beautiful.... elegant and shabby.... just let me find a wreath and I will definitely make one as well! thanks for the inspiration!
Clelia

Tiffany January 10, 2011 at 7:22 AM  

That is awesome, Erin! Looks great! I love the blossoms too! I wouldn't want to change it either!

Erin January 10, 2011 at 8:21 AM  

This is so cute (I WILL be doing this...) So festive/romantic for Valetines Day!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate January 10, 2011 at 9:43 AM  

LOVE this!

Unknown January 10, 2011 at 9:58 AM  

This is sooo sweet! Love the romantic notion of the script writing and the paper flowers! Hope you share with the Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/01/pink-hippo-party-11.html

Jo-Anna@APrettyLife January 10, 2011 at 9:59 AM  

Very pretty!

Stephenie from Decorating Addiction January 10, 2011 at 10:08 AM  

It's very classy! I love homemade wreaths b/c buying them is sooo expensive!

ArtfullyJune January 10, 2011 at 10:22 AM  

Very pretty. I can see why you are keeping it as it is for now. Looks great and timeless.

Rachael January 10, 2011 at 12:39 PM  

Love this! Thanks for sharing! Would love to see you at my weekend party :) http://www.lovelycraftyhome.com

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} January 10, 2011 at 3:42 PM  

Super cute! Thanks for sharing!

Also, I shared a link to this on my blog's FB page.
http://www.facebook.com/AGlimpseInside

Jessica January 10, 2011 at 4:41 PM  

Good choice. Thanks for sharing!

Sandra January 10, 2011 at 4:43 PM  

I love this!! As soon as the snow melts, I'm off to the craft store. Thank You!! Happy Monday! xoxo

Anonymous January 10, 2011 at 7:17 PM  

I love your take on a book page wreath. It's really simple and beautiful.
Thanks for sharing!
Cheers!
Theresa

Allie January 10, 2011 at 8:00 PM  

I absolutely love this! Those flowers are so great! I love the idea of changing out the blossoms, but I don't blame you for not wanting to change them :)

Ana B. January 10, 2011 at 9:23 PM  

wow! Looks beautiful and sooo easy to make it. :):)

Be Colorful Coastal January 10, 2011 at 10:46 PM  

Looks great. I think what really makes it work is the paper you chose. I love anything with words. It just takes the design to a whole other level.
Pam

Nicole @ Wohler's World January 10, 2011 at 11:38 PM  

I am loving all the book crafts I've seen lately and your wreath is totally on my list! Thanks for sharing!

Heidi January 11, 2011 at 12:21 AM  

Looks cool, I'm definitely diggin it!

Unknown January 11, 2011 at 8:20 AM  

What a really cute idea! Great way to use up paper that you may have stashed away.

Unknown January 11, 2011 at 11:12 PM  

This is such a great project, I will have to make it! You should link up to Sister Sister Sunday if you have a chance.

Thanks,
Amanda

Tara January 12, 2011 at 12:28 AM  

That is just too beautiful for words. In love with this and have to make one. Thanks again for linking up over at Trendy Treehouse! We love your projects!

Tara

Rockie January 12, 2011 at 1:51 PM  

What a great idea! Found you at Someday Crafts. Thanks for sharing.

Rockie at Something Wonderful

www.rockiescrafts.blogspot.com

Unknown January 12, 2011 at 9:49 PM  

Your wreath is lovely! I love the simplicity of it.
~Mary
www.thecraftygals.blogspot.com

Melanie Bacom January 12, 2011 at 10:47 PM  

Very creative.

Annie Louise January 13, 2011 at 6:25 PM  

Fantastic--I love it, so shabby, so beautiful.
Jeanette

Liz January 13, 2011 at 9:55 PM  

You've made some beautiful stuff! This is great!
I'd love for you to link up with my party: http://fastdaze.blogspot.com/2011/01/linky-fridaze-1.html

Jaimee @ Havenwood House of Boys January 14, 2011 at 9:32 PM  

This is beautiful!!
craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

Ali Richardson January 15, 2011 at 10:43 PM  

This is so so beautiful! Great job!

Be Colorful Coastal January 16, 2011 at 9:28 PM  

This is just so sweet and your tutorial was so simple to follow. Thanks for sharing it on Motivated Monday at BeColorful.
Have a great week.
Pam

Unknown January 17, 2011 at 5:09 AM  

Hi Erin! I love your wreath soo much.. I featured it on my blog. Please grab your featured button @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/01/pink-hippo-party-12.html

Scrap-Happy Mama February 1, 2011 at 9:59 PM  

Another great wreath! Just love all the great ideas! They look great.

Amber Kanallakan February 7, 2011 at 11:58 AM  

This was so easy to make! Thanks for sharing! I featured this project on my blog: amberkanallakan.blogspot.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails