Friday, August 13, 2010

School Supply Box

Even though schedules are hectic this time of year and new routines form, I always try to revamp my classroom for some reason? (boredom I guess) Little projects here and there make my day a little more cozy by having something crafty lying around. (it also helps having my fellow blogger Patrice down the hall as well)

Not long ago, I met a lady in Michaels Craft Store who gave me this wonderful idea. So, I thought I'd share it with you... (ma'am if I knew your name I'd give you credit..thanks so much!)



All you need is a plastic container with multiple compartments, various coordinating school supplies, ribbon, scrapbook paper, and some glue dots.



Once you've selected your coordinating supplies, I then choose the scrapbook paper based on the supplies.



Next, measure the lid of the container.



Divide the lid in three sections. I have the gingham and the floral pattern in the larger areas and used the pink piece as a divider.



Now..putting the box together!
Cut a piece of ribbon that goes around the box and makes a nice size bow in the front. Secure the bow with glue dots or two-sided tape.

Next, go back and apply your paper with the adhesive on top of the ribbon.



Then, add the supplies in the compartments.





Last, decorate the top of your supply box by using flowers, buttons, birds, or any other decorative materials your heart desires. I adore my box. (see below)





I also thought this would be a great idea for a little girls jewelry box, a baby girl's hair bow box, an earring box for myself :), or just for organizing my buttons and small materials at home.

I will be linking up to these parties this week!

19 comments:

Erin A August 13, 2010 at 7:43 AM  

Fun!! Love it!

Sassy Southern Lady August 13, 2010 at 8:18 AM  

I am a teacher also and these are the cutest. I think I will try my hand at creating a few. Thanks for the idea.

Debbie Corbari August 13, 2010 at 8:27 AM  

This is way too cute! What a great idea! TFS!

Lelan @ Good Gravy! August 13, 2010 at 8:31 AM  

Are those Hershey's Kisses in the box?! This makes this project EXTRA practical now. :)

Jessica August 13, 2010 at 11:38 AM  

Lelan! Every teacher needs chocolate at some point!

Tiffany August 13, 2010 at 1:43 PM  

These are adorable! What a fabulous idea! Love the blues used on your box. Those papers are gorgeous!

Patrice August 13, 2010 at 1:53 PM  

I LOVE it! Such a fun and practical idea. And the chocolate sure does come in handy! Thanks!

KellyS August 13, 2010 at 1:54 PM  

Also a teacher. After seeing so many great projects and ideas, I would love to see some more about how/what you've been able to bring into your class. Love thinking about how to merge your hobby with work.

Tanya August 13, 2010 at 5:32 PM  

Your children's teachers are so lucky to recieve such cute gifts!

Teri August 13, 2010 at 10:27 PM  

Very cute! :)

Ruth H. August 15, 2010 at 10:30 AM  

I let my daughter decorate her school pencil box this way, last year. It was a big hit! Definitely a great project for those last few "boring" days before school starts. I love your idea of filling them for the teacher.

Anonymous August 15, 2010 at 1:48 PM  

I have been trying to come up with something for all my sock creature eyes. This will work great. I'm going to pad the bottom with felt or something so the plastic ones don't get scratched up. OMG! I might even try out that spray stuff they use on real jewelry boxes and such. I'll have to find out if it works on plastic. Thanks for the idea.

Unknown August 16, 2010 at 4:35 PM  

STINKEN ROTTEN CUTE! love it, thanks for linking them up. Jen

Unknown August 16, 2010 at 4:35 PM  

STINKEN ROTTEN CUTE! love it, thanks for linking them up. Jen

Courtney August 16, 2010 at 10:49 PM  

Love this! What a clever and cute idea! I can't wait to do one! :)

Ruth August 18, 2010 at 5:57 PM  

I just went to Michael's today and bought everything to make 3 of these for my children's teachers. Do you have a flickr account so I could upload photos after I'm done?

Jessica August 19, 2010 at 9:37 PM  

Ruth, sorry I don't. :( I would love to see your photos though. I do browse flickr frequently....

Jessica August 20, 2010 at 4:52 PM  

Ruth!!! We now have a FLICKR account!! I'd love to see your finished School Supply Box!

Kristin Renee' Wynegar September 21, 2010 at 9:13 PM  

such a cute idea! I am a teacher, and I just love this. Thank you so much for sharing. :) Also, I am your newest follower. Hope to hear from you soon!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails