Monday, August 23, 2010

Prettier Watering Can

IMG_5881.jpg

Ever since I saw this picture in Better Homes & Gardens, I have been on the lookout for a cute little watering can to re-do. I figured that with fall season rapidly approaching, some stores would have their gardening items on sale and I might get a good deal. Luckily, I was right.


happycan.jpg

I found this cute little thing at Joanns last week for 70% off and I snatched it right up.

IMG_5810.JPG

I immediately removed the little springy sunflower, and then got out my spray paint. I went with Krylon's Catalina Mist, and 3 light coats seemed to do the trick.

IMG_5843.JPG

The paper that I was using to cover the can was kind of thick and I knew that it would be more difficult to manage covered in Mod Podge, so I needed my paper to be cut pretty precisely to the shape of the can.  I didn't want to waste any scrapbook paper, so I used a Dollar Store flier to cut out a "pattern" for each half of the can. This actually worked perfectly, because the paper was so thin that I just lined it up against the can, ran my fingernail along the edge, and it trimmed the paper right off. I then cut out my scrapbook paper using the pattern as a guide, lined up the scrapbook paper on the can and made a few little adjustments so that it would fit perfectly.

Picnik collage1.jpg

I used just 2 pieces of scrapbook paper to cover the can. They each started at the handle of the watering can and ended at the spout.

IMG_5840.JPG

I painted a thin coat of Mod Podge on the side of the can, a thin coat on the underside of the scrapbook paper, and then smoothed it onto the can. I went over the paper with a little scraping tool, smoothing out the bubbles and tucking the edges of the paper up under the rim.

Picnik collage2.jpg


The spout was a little bit tricky. I made sure that the first section of scrapbook paper extended about an inch past the spout, and the second section of scrapbook paper stopped just above the middle of the spout. This little bit of overlap ensured that there were no gaps around the spout, and the seams were symmetrical on both sides of the watering can. (Sorry, I'm one of those people that cares about things like that! :)

Picnik collage3.jpg

Now you can relax a little bit, because the hard part is over.

IMG_5847.jpg

If you can't leave well enough alone want a little bit more detail, you could also cut a thin strip to put down the middle of the handles as well.

IMG_5882.jpg

Once the paper was dry I covered it with 2 more light coats of Mod Podge to seal it. I only had the matte finish of Mod Podge, so I put a light coat of satin polyurethane on the whole watering can so that the paper and spray paint would have matching shiny finishes.

IMG_5879.JPG

Well, what do you think? Pretty, huh? And a whole lot cheaper than BH&G's $65 version.

IMG_5878.jpg

I love this little watering can and am excited that it has made it's way into my Etsy shop! Check it out here if you're interested, or make yourself a customized version!

PS-Did you see that Lemon Tree Creations now has a Flickr account? If you have tried one of our tutorials, we'd love to see your finished product!!! Upload your photos here, at Lemon Tree Creations: Tutorials I Tried.

As always, I'll be sharing this project at these really fun link parties. Check out what everyone has been up to!

See you next week!


Visit thecsiproject.com


E1025F317CFB5B8E9E5C526E5CC0F475.png



38 comments:

Lori P August 23, 2010 at 6:13 AM  

This is so adorable! I would have never thought to snatch up that ugly little watering can. Nice job!

Bridget @ The Rehab Boutique August 23, 2010 at 8:32 AM  

Very beautiful! Can't wait to try this on something myself!

Tiffany August 23, 2010 at 8:54 AM  

Love the color you used and the gorgeous paper! Fantastic! Now that is a pretty watering can. Would make watering plants so much more fun!

Sandra August 23, 2010 at 9:08 AM  

Adorable!! xoxo

Unknown August 23, 2010 at 9:53 AM  

So cute! Makes you want to water some plants. :)

Anonymous August 23, 2010 at 10:09 AM  

Great idea. I just finished painting a violin and those are a bit harder to come by. I am looking for everyday objects to paint and embellish and I never really thought about a watering can. Thanks for the inspiration.
Pam @ Becolorful

A Whole Lotta Magic August 23, 2010 at 11:21 AM  

Looks so pretty, Erin! Great job!

Sue

Taylor-Ann August 23, 2010 at 12:56 PM  

Super Cute and looks pretty easy to make. Great job!

Roeckers August 23, 2010 at 2:07 PM  

LOVE IT!!
Good use of the Pampered Chef stone scraper thingy.
I am definitely going to have to try this

Jessica August 23, 2010 at 4:47 PM  

Erin, this is such a great idea. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the sale rack.

Unknown August 23, 2010 at 8:20 PM  

This is so totally cute!

The Polka Dot Closet August 23, 2010 at 9:36 PM  

I love it! it is perfect and oh so cute! Great instructions. I am going to Joannes tomorrow anyway I am going to check them out!

Carol

Roo @ NiceGirlNotes August 24, 2010 at 5:40 PM  

The transformation is amazing! Bravo!

Unknown August 24, 2010 at 9:38 PM  

Great tip - cutting a pattern first. It turned out so cute!

Would love for you to link it up Sunday to Passion for Paint. I love how it's part paint/part paper/part Modpodge.

Ruth H. August 25, 2010 at 6:56 AM  

This is darling! I never thought of mod-podging a watering can. This would look so cute in an arrangement!

Jennifer Juniper August 25, 2010 at 7:19 AM  

It is a really cute decorative piece now!

Amanda August 25, 2010 at 7:59 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda August 25, 2010 at 8:00 AM  

Hi Erin, I've featured your pretty watering can (love it!) at Craft Gossip this morning. http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/decoupage-watering-can/

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

Rhiannon August 25, 2010 at 2:53 PM  

so darn cute!

michmashed August 25, 2010 at 4:48 PM  

I love it! Great job!

Kara @ Mine for the Making August 26, 2010 at 12:44 AM  

WOW! Beautiful! Love the watering can...great tutorial :)

Hopped over from Trendy Treehouse.

I also just re-did a watering can :) Stop by and take a peek!

Kara

Vintagesouthernlife August 26, 2010 at 10:21 PM  

Sooo cute! I need to check out the sales counters for a can!
Your instructions are great too.

Abramyan Avenue August 27, 2010 at 12:46 AM  

How pretty! You make it look so simple!!! And it seems you could decorate it any way that you like!! Great idea!

(eddas) August 27, 2010 at 1:52 AM  

You make it really nice:)well done..
have a nice day
eddaHUgs

Hootin Anni August 27, 2010 at 5:54 AM  

So so pretty!!! What a great concept...love it.

My link for you... WIZARD OF OZ
Do come by to say hello if you have time!

Cecily August 27, 2010 at 8:15 AM  

Wow, that turned out sooo pretty! I love it!

Suzanne@Meridian Road August 27, 2010 at 8:35 AM  

That's really cute!

Atticmag August 27, 2010 at 2:58 PM  

That's a sweet can and a wonderful project. So glad to learn how to do one.

Speaking of projects, we have a unique DIY kitchen or laundry backsplash giveaway that might be useful to you or a friend. Please stop by our Giveaway Friday! Jane F.

Biljana August 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM  

Great job, it looks so beautiful:))
Greetings from Europe, Biljana

Donna@Conghaile Cottage August 27, 2010 at 10:24 PM  

I LOVE this, it is SUCH a cute watering can... Thank you for the instructions too. I'm joining to follow you.
Hugs, Donna

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal August 27, 2010 at 11:18 PM  

So cute, I just love the colors you used.

Stephanie@cre8tive August 28, 2010 at 9:27 AM  

That is so stickin cute! What score on the watering can! I just love the colors and paper you used.

La August 28, 2010 at 7:27 PM  

You did a wonderful job on this water can. La

Donna August 28, 2010 at 7:48 PM  

I just love your watering can! Such a fun idea! I just bought that same color of spray paint, and I love it. I think I am addicted to Mod Podge, so thanks for the inspiration! Saw you over at Funky Junk :)

Katie Olthoff August 29, 2010 at 11:55 AM  

Adorable. I especially love the paper you chose.

Lindy August 30, 2010 at 1:28 AM  

Adorable little watering can. You chose the perfect color and paper. It's too sweet.

I would love for you to visit my "Small Pratice Painting" GIVEAWAY!

Jeralee August 31, 2010 at 1:57 PM  

Cute idea! I like it. I am hopping over here from CSI Project. :-)

Morgane @ Bear,Dolly and Moi August 31, 2010 at 7:40 PM  

really cool watering can! I had seen the "fancy" one before but I think yours look better!

Related Posts with Thumbnails