Monday, August 16, 2010

Long Necklace Holder

2010_02_08_6418_thumb[1].jpg



I had a cute necklace holder a few years ago that broke, and a new one has been on my shopping list ever since. I have looked at several in different stores but never found one that I like or that would accommodate my looong necklaces. Those are the ones that have been tangled up in my drawer and really need to be managed in the first place, so that’s the priority. Last week, Chris ended up detangling a knot of necklaces while I finished getting ready to leave the house, and I decided that I would just take matters into my own hands and make one for myself.



I made it a priority to get to the thrift store on the day that the artwork was 50% off, and walked home with this cool frame for about $5. I removed the glass, picture and matting and pulled out some old foam board that I had never used. I cut the foam board, wrapped it in some heavy burlap, and hot glued the edges around the back.



2010_02_08_6434_thumb.jpg



I picked up some padded hooks from Walmart for about $1. They started off white, which was just a little too stark for the frame, so I spray painted them beige and then rubbed on a little wood stain. This was a better color but left them tacky and messy, so I put a coat of matte Mod Podge and they sealed up nicely.



2010_02_08_6390_thumb[1].jpg



I wanted the hooks to be exactly 2 inches apart, so I got out the measuring tape and marked the back of the foam board in pen before I twisted the hooks through. I put 2 smaller hooks at the end of the row for shorter necklaces, and 2 at the bottom for bracelets.



2010_02_08_6427_thumb.jpg



I love it! Of all of the things that I have made, this was certainly the easiest. A perfect combination of cheap, fast, functional and pretty. A+. I'll be linking it to these great parties.



2010_02_08_6432_thumb[1].jpg



Also, thanks to everyone who gave me such great feedback a few weeks ago about my Barn Wood and Stencil Art!! You guys are too sweet! I just found out today that it made it into the Top 12 over at the The DIY Club, and I'm so excited about it!



IMG_5001.jpg



If you have the chance, head on over to The DIY Club and check out some really cool projects. And if you feel like voting, check out #32, the Barn Wood Stenciled Art. Just a suggestion. :)



Have a great week and I'll see you next Monday!!




E1025F317CFB5B8E9E5C526E5CC0F475.png











25 comments:

Maxabella August 16, 2010 at 6:24 AM  

Clever idea. I just stick hooks straight to the wall... I'm sure my hub would prefer your arty version!! x

Sassy Southern Lady August 16, 2010 at 7:07 AM  

This is both useful and great wall art.

Wendy August 16, 2010 at 8:07 AM  

I have been collecting frames for this exact purpose! Love the way yours turned out and the texture of the burlap is perfect!

Jocelyn August 16, 2010 at 9:05 AM  

What a great way to use the frame! Very creative!

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Terrell August 16, 2010 at 11:18 AM  

Loooove the necklace holder! So creative!! I voted and I love the barnwood stenciled look! Great job!
~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

Teri August 16, 2010 at 1:35 PM  

Oooh, smart idea! :) Love it!

Tyne August 16, 2010 at 5:31 PM  

I've done something like this for my necklaces! Love it!

tynebodennecklaces.blogspot.com

Louley's Belles August 16, 2010 at 7:44 PM  

That's just cute!!!

Teaching by Mom August 16, 2010 at 11:01 PM  

Super sweet! This one is def. going on my craft list!! Thanks!

Amanda August 17, 2010 at 12:56 AM  

I love this idea!

Taylor-Ann August 17, 2010 at 3:09 PM  

Love this idea. we just redid our bedroom and I needed a new place for all my necklaces and was trying to find some way to hang them in our walk in claset. This is perfect and will for sure be my insperation when I create mine.

Thanks!

Kim -today's creative blog August 17, 2010 at 3:45 PM  

I need some long necklaces. :)

Cat@BudgetBlonde August 18, 2010 at 6:54 PM  

This is so cute! You did such a good job. I recently did a post about jewelry organization - and I love your idea so much!

Brianna! August 19, 2010 at 7:33 AM  

sooo adorable:)
xoxo
bB

Anonymous August 19, 2010 at 2:10 PM  

I need one of those necklace holders, great job :)

Ewa August 19, 2010 at 4:01 PM  

Great idea!

Megan Gunyan August 19, 2010 at 8:28 PM  

I love the burlap and how you dressed up the hooks! Not many would notice details like that. Great job.
I'd love it if you would link up to my Friday link party!
http://alittleknickknack.blogspot.com/
Have a lovely night!

Staci J August 19, 2010 at 10:39 PM  

Wow!! the burlap looks great, very shabby chic!
Visiting from justsewsassy.com

Candy August 19, 2010 at 11:40 PM  

love this idea. so much more functional than the thumtacks i use for my necklace holder that keep falling off!! and so much prettier than just hammering nails in there :/

. August 21, 2010 at 3:58 PM  

So pretty!! I just did a post this week about jewelry holders...wish I had seen yours before I posted so I could have included you in it (with your permission of course.) :)

Connie August 21, 2010 at 4:29 PM  

Greast idea. I am so glad you posted about this, it has inspired me to make one to use to display necklaces at a craft bazaar I do in November.

Anonymous August 21, 2010 at 8:18 PM  

this is brilliant! I've been looking for one of these for ages, but now I'm totally going to make one of these right now!!

Here from NFF, happy weekend!

Heather Bredimus August 21, 2010 at 9:50 PM  

Hi! I found your site off of Today’s Creative Blog! I love your craft! You all are so talented! I just signed up to be your 1137th follower! Woo hoo! I hope you stop by my new blog. I just started it 2 months ago and would love new friends! Please come see me at http://www.modernfamilymagazine.com

Leanne August 21, 2010 at 11:43 PM  

I love the look of this one. The frame, the burlap and the way you dressed up the hooks, just perfect. THanks for linking to We're Organized Wednesday. BTW I love your wall art too.

Anonymous April 1, 2011 at 11:38 AM  

Love the necklase holder! great idea!

cassylately.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails