Monday, December 12, 2011

Sewn Star Christmas Ornaments

Last week I showed you my son's Advent Calendar: paper stars with goodies sewn inside for him to open each day as we count down to Christmas.

Advent 14

I love looking at all of the stars all lined up and labelled with a countdown to Christmas, but I get just a little bit sad every time that he rips one of them open. So I decided to make some just for me and our tree.

Stars 3

I started off the same way, with a stack of stars of equal size, though they didn't match perfectly which I like. I also cut out a stack of the same size stars from an old Webster's Dictionary.

Advent 1

I threaded my sewing machine with red thread, set it to a straight stitch and the longest length. I stacked 2 brown paper stars on top of one another with the dictionary page star on top, and started sewing around the edges. Once I was 3/4 of the way around the star, I stuffed some polyfill stuffing inside to give the stars a bit of dimension.

Advent 2

I cut a 4 inch strip of red raffia, folded it in half, stuffed the ends in one of the open points of the star, and sewed them down.

Stars 3

I love these. The red thread on the dictionary paper is so fun and the back is still the red thread on brown paper, which I loved so much in the first place. Now the only question is, who won't be receiving a little bundle of these from me for Christmas?

Stars 4

Would you like a set of these stars? I also put some in my Etsy shop here.

Happy Monday!!

E1025F317CFB5B8E9E5C526E5CC0F475 copy

6 comments:

Scarlet Bluefield December 5, 2011 at 12:57 PM  

Love it! So cute and easy :)

Tiffany December 7, 2011 at 11:41 AM  

This is so cute! Love the look of the paper stars with red stitching! How fun!

Kate December 10, 2011 at 12:19 PM  

I'm so glad to read this in the RSS feed a couple days ago. I've been trying to think of a cute (and inexpensive) advent calendar, and some activities to make the holidays shine.
Your calendar is perfect! Simple, exciting, little! And I love the activity ideas.
Where did you get the great Nativity set?

Christina Marie December 12, 2011 at 9:50 AM  

I really REALLY love these!!! :o)

Megan December 13, 2011 at 12:10 PM  

super cute blog!! found it on pinterest!! check out my hair blog i just started www.meganmikitahair.blogspot.com

Unknown November 13, 2012 at 3:21 AM  

a nice idea for making an advent calendar.

I linked to your tutorial on my blog - thanks for sharing!


doro K.

Related Posts with Thumbnails