Tuesday, July 12, 2011

What's For Lunch? - The Best Sloppy Joes Ever



{The Best} Sloppy Joes {Ever}


1 pound ground beef
2/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup water
1 can chicken gumbo soup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon mustard
1/4 cup ketchup


Cook meat and onion until onion is golden.  Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer over low/medium heat for 30 minutes.  Enjoy!



I am not kidding when I say these are the best ever.  I got this recipe from my Mom and not sure where she originally heard of it but I think the chicken gumbo soup is the special ingredient that takes these sloppy joes to a whole new level!  Seriously, you have got to give this recipe a try.  Easy and so delicious!

I'll be sharing this recipe at these parties!

Happy Tuesday!

6 comments:

Grammer July 12, 2011 at 6:37 AM  

It's your Grandma Smith's recipe from eons ago:-)

Emilee July 12, 2011 at 8:15 AM  

mmmm... sounds good to me! I don't know if I can find the soup here though (I'm in Canada...) do you have any ideas what a good substitute would be??

Tiffany July 12, 2011 at 10:53 AM  

Hi Emilee. I wish I knew a good substitute but I have no idea because I think the soup is what makes it taste so good. So sorry.

Patrice July 12, 2011 at 11:11 AM  

Yum! We haven't attempted sloppy joes around here actually. This looks like the perfect recipe to get us started!

Mom & Daddy July 12, 2011 at 7:56 PM  

I have made this recipe since 1971.

My mother-in-law made it for my husband when he was a boy in the 1950's.

She got the recipe from one of those stapled paper recipe booklets. She passed it on to me. It serves as a treasured symbol of the wonderful mother and mother-in-law she was. she was.

TBonesMom July 13, 2011 at 8:04 AM  

@Emilee: You could probably contact Campbell's soup and ask them where it could be available for you. You may even be able to purchase some online if you really wanted to. Their website is www.campbellsoupcompany.com and they have a "contact us" tab. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails