Friday, March 26, 2010

Eggshell Herb Garden

Spring is here folks! The flowers are blooming, the grasses are greener, and the sun is shining (well on most days). So, onward we go with our week of Easter crafts using none other than the good ole Easter egg.




Today's craft is an oh so simple herb garden. Some suggested materials are in the picture above. Various ideas can be used here; that's why I like this project so much! Any herb will do, and the sky is the limit on decorating eggs. That's pretty much the project in an eggshell (ha!)




The first thing you want to do is blow out the eggs and decorate to suit your fancy. I kept it simple this time. Once you've blown out the yolk, start chipping away the shell creating your vase. A good way to add extra support to this fragile craft is coating the entire egg with clear fingernail polish once you've finished chipping.



Next you'll want to fill the "vase" with 3/4 dirt (use a tsp or something similar in size). Once the egg is full you may use herbs from your garden or fresh herbs from the grocery. I am using basil for this particular egg.






To complete this herb garden I found this bird cage at the Peddlers Mall ($5.00) which I spray painted yellow. The bird on top was $1.00 (which I couldn't resist) and some shredded wood fibers for $1.49 (from Micheal's) for my "nest" and support of my eggs. Inside my garden you will find basil, mint, and both curled and flat parsley. This project ran me about $9.00!




This garden would make an excellent center piece...I'm thinking Easter dinner. But, please note this is not something that will keep very long and I am not encouraging or suggesting growth here..this is pure decoration folks.

I'll be linking up to these parties this week. Stop by and check them out!

23 comments:

Andy Porter March 26, 2010 at 7:49 AM  

Oh, Jessica! I totally love this idea!!

Erin A March 26, 2010 at 8:08 AM  

This is so incredibly cute!!! I love it! Great pictures too

TBonesMom March 26, 2010 at 8:25 AM  

Very, very cute!

Question though: How did you paint the polka dots on the eggs? What did you use there?

Patrice March 26, 2010 at 8:42 AM  

Love it. I am definitely doing this! Now I will just need to invite people over so I can use a cute centerpiece!

Jessica March 26, 2010 at 9:42 AM  

TBonesMom: I used some scrapbook paper; hole punch circles and a little mod podge!!
Thanks for stopping by!

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something March 26, 2010 at 10:02 AM  

absolutely adorable! ...couldn't be any cuter!

Morgan//Nuts and Bows March 26, 2010 at 7:33 PM  

Jessica these are too cute! I love them for Easter, what a fun idea!!

Don't forget to check out my awesome GIVEAWAY :)

~Morgan

Meet Virginia Crafts
Meet Virginia's Etsy Shop

Lorie March 26, 2010 at 10:59 PM  

The polkadots are so cute!

Tiffany March 26, 2010 at 11:07 PM  

Lovin the polka-dots! So stinkin' cute! This is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Mrs. M March 27, 2010 at 9:25 AM  

Brilliant idea! Such a cute centerpiece. Thank you for sharing.

Mrs. M

I'm coming from NFF.

beckaboots March 27, 2010 at 11:54 AM  

I've seen eggs like these before but NEVER this shabby chic! This is awesome and I *might* have to steal the idea :)

Simply Domestic March 27, 2010 at 5:15 PM  

I love this!! Very cute! New follower!:)

Herbgirl March 27, 2010 at 5:37 PM  

SO cute and clever! This is inspiring my Easter decor (I know....it's getting kinda late so I better hurry) THANKS! :)
Herbal Blessings, Mandy

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans March 27, 2010 at 6:24 PM  

Very cute! I love it... very clever! :)

Laura March 27, 2010 at 7:06 PM  

What a great idea. So creative!

I am featuring a necklace tutorial and giveaway. I'd love it if you stopped by my blog!

neli March 28, 2010 at 5:49 AM  

So sweet!!!!!!!
i love it!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden March 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM  

So fun! I love this idea!

Thanks so much for linking up to Make it Yours Day at My Backyard Eden!

deborah March 29, 2010 at 2:20 AM  

So incredibly creative - your blog always inspires me...

The Tuscan Home March 29, 2010 at 5:31 AM  

What a darling idea. Thank you for the inspiration, so cute! ~Liz

TidyMom March 29, 2010 at 6:38 AM  

Oh this is SO cute! I love it!!

Thanks for linking up to I'm Lovin' It! Hope to see you again this week!!

Magic Happens March 29, 2010 at 9:55 AM  

OMG, this is the cutest thing I have seen in a long time! So clever, love it!

Jessica March 30, 2010 at 6:19 AM  

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback!

Jessica
Lemon Tree Creations

Stacey @ Fun to Craft March 31, 2010 at 7:55 PM  

These are SO cute!! Thanks for sharing at Spring has Sprung at Fun to Craft.

Related Posts with Thumbnails