Trust me, I am certainly aware of the overwhelming fame book page wreaths had last fall. Quickly after I saw the first tutorial on one I ran out and got all of the materials I would need to make it! I have a couple of versions going on throughout my house, but have tried to change things up a bit to reflect the personality of our family. One I wanted to show you today, that is by far my favorite and the easiest, is the paper flower wreath.
The book page flower is quite easy to make. I first stumbled across how great and versatile it was while trying to come up with something to put on my front door wreath. I messed around with some leftover materials until I came up with this:
1) I trimmed book pages in a scalloped fashion as seen below. ( I painted the edges for this wreath to make it more colorful since it was for a children's room.)
2) Then I folded the scalloped edges in half twice and put a small dot of hot glue in the last fold. This is all the glue you need for each petal to hold them together.
2) Before adding petals to the foam wreath I chose, I completely cover it with book pages. Then, I created each flower one petal at a time. I used only 4 large petals for each flower.
3) Next, I added the flowers first in a straight path around the wreath, at the highest point when it was facing me. Only at the end did I go back and fill in the inside and outside gaps. For this particular wreath I mixed a children's book with dictionary index pages. This gave it a bit more color and character.
4) Once the gaps were filled in, I added a few personal touches. I added my daughter's name, Laurelei, in small painted wooden letters I bought at a craft store for $0.39, along with a brown ribbon for hanging on which I attached a big floppy bow.
And that's it. It was a pretty simple process. It cost about $10.00 all together. It is MUCH less time intensive than the first few book wreaths I made because the petals take up so much space. The only real element of time for me was deciding where to hang it! (If you have noticed a pattern in my past few posts, it is that I have serious commitment issues when it comes to putting nails in the wall. We have a few too many that I know my husband is slightly less than pleased about...)
Despite all of the trial and errors, I think I have found the perfect place in the nursery to hang our newest paper creation...