Tuesday, March 9, 2010

birdie nest

I have a little birdie pattern I made awhile back. I thought it would be fun to make a little nest with a couple stuffed birds to go inside. I pictured it as a sweet little decoration in my Avery's room, but I knew she would want to actually play with the birds so it became a 2 in 1 project.

I was on the hunt for a nest. I came across this grapevine wreath at JoAnn's for 99 cents. It was perfect. Avery was excited simply over the purchase of the "nest".


Of course, I went with my trusty green fabric from JoAnn's that has been used in an abundance of sewing and craft projects at our house. I just love it...


I used some orange polka-dot fabric scraps and plain yellow that we had lying around to cut out 3 little birdies for the nest...


I had brown felt scraps that I used to cut out triangle beaks and heart wings. I then typed some large brown periods and printed them on iron-on transfer paper for the eyes. I used a hole punch to cut the eyes out quickly...


I ironed an eye on both sides of each bird and then hand stitched the wings on each side with an x so that they weren't completely stuck and could flap, of course...


Next, I sewed the 2 sides of each birdie together inside out (this step was the longest as my sewing machine and I have a serious love/hate relationship). I left an opening at the bottom, flipped them right side out and hand stitched the beaks on...


The next step was to give life to the little babies by stuffing them...


I hand stitched the birds closed. After they were complete, I hot glued a round piece of brown felt to the bottom of the nest so that the birdies would stay in and to avoid scratching any furniture that the nest may be placed on...


I had to take the birdies outside for some fresh air and a photo shoot...


Avery was thrilled with the final result. She loves them and they have already provided hours of fun play. She even asks to sleep with them at night. I know that nest cannot be too comfortable so we always remove it when we check on her at night. They spend their time on Avery's nightstand when they aren't being played with or slept on...


Each bird turned out to have their own personality. Avery named them "Red Dot" (even though it is orange), "Green Flower", and "Little Yellow". So, as long as the birds survive Avery, they will serve as a toy and a decoration. 2 (or 3) birds with 1 stone. Ha.

I am linking this project to these parties this week. Go check out what everyone else has been busy creating! See you next week!

43 comments:

Jess March 9, 2010 at 8:58 AM  

I love those little birds!

Erin A March 9, 2010 at 10:44 AM  

Fun!! Those birds are really darling. And it's a little like Easter decor too! Good time of the year to make a little nest full of birds that could be considered chicks. :)

Patrice March 9, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

Super cute! Now I just have to learn to sew!

Miss Mustard Seed March 9, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

What a cute project! So sweet and creative.

Alyssa March 9, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

Adorable. And I love Avery's names for them. I can't believe how much hand-stitching you do on projects. It makes me want to cringe I dislike it so much.

Alyssa March 9, 2010 at 10:35 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous March 10, 2010 at 8:17 AM  

One of the most adorable goodies I've seen in a while! I, for one, have NEVER outgrown my love for the birdies! I still love to collect! I will have to try these myself!

Unknown March 10, 2010 at 8:41 AM  

I think this just might be my favorite thing I have seen while blog hopping today. It's absolutly adorable.

michelle@somedaycrafts March 10, 2010 at 8:47 AM  

Those are simply darling! I wouldn't have thought to use a wreath like that! So cute!

Christy March 10, 2010 at 9:50 AM  

This is so adorable! I am going to have to make this for my girls! Thanks so much for the tutorial.

* The Design Confidential March 10, 2010 at 10:13 AM  

This is so cute! Thanks for sharing it!

Helena March 10, 2010 at 3:24 PM  

I absolutely love this!! I am going to feature it in my Friday wrap up. And then I am going to make it myself because oh my gosh. It's adorable.

Thank you for linking up to A Little Craft Therapy with Life in the Pitts.

jennifer March 10, 2010 at 7:25 PM  

so cute! I love it!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden March 10, 2010 at 11:33 PM  

So cute and creative! It looks like Avery will be creating alongside you in no time!

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours day!

Kathryn March 11, 2010 at 6:59 AM  

Awh, super cute!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans March 11, 2010 at 8:34 AM  

Those are so SWEET! I love them all cuddled in thier nest! Very cute! : )

Bonnie @ House of Grace March 11, 2010 at 9:18 AM  

Great post!!! Cute!! I am your newest follower!
Bonnie
http://creatingahouseofgrace.blogspot.com

extreme personal measures March 11, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

cute!

Sandy March 11, 2010 at 3:00 PM  

I think I need to make a few of those darling little birds... so cute!
found you on a blog hop.....
Sandy

http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

Nathalie March 11, 2010 at 10:57 PM  

I LOVE these!!! They are just adorable and you make it look pretty easy!

Wendy March 11, 2010 at 11:54 PM  

Very cute!!

Tammy @ tinselshop.com March 12, 2010 at 6:31 AM  

Just adorable, I will definitely be making these for my little ones! Great tutorial!

Best wishes,
Tammy

Melissa March 12, 2010 at 7:46 AM  

Another super cute project, and perfect for the spring!

Jessica March 12, 2010 at 9:19 AM  

How creative! So cute!

Visiting from the shabby nest party!

-jessica

Kristi Flanagan March 12, 2010 at 11:21 AM  

ok - this is so cute! Come plant your creative seed at my first blog party: "Plant a Punkin Seed at Punkin Seed Productions"

Kristi
Punkin Seed Productions

Kristin March 12, 2010 at 12:05 PM  

So cute! I'm definitely marking your blog so I can keep checking out your projects...I use that same nest as one of my photo props in my Etsy shop, love it, it's one of my favorites!

Molly Anne March 12, 2010 at 12:35 PM  

Oh my goodness those birds are so cute!

Sherry March 12, 2010 at 9:09 PM  

My 4 year old son was just telling me tonight that he wants his own little birdie for his room (while holding one of my ceramic ones!)..I am so making him some of these. Fabulous!

farmhouse mama March 14, 2010 at 11:12 AM  

So cute! They just scream "spring". Thanks for sharing.

Save the Date for Cupcakes March 15, 2010 at 9:04 AM  

So cute. Stopped by from TCB;o)

~Tanya

Nicole March 15, 2010 at 4:04 PM  

I love those birds! They are adorable! I'm so glad I discovered your blog... it's great!

Kristen Andrews March 15, 2010 at 8:33 PM  

adorable, love the blocks and birdies really nice blog!

Missy@MarvelouslyMessy.com March 15, 2010 at 10:42 PM  

That's really sweet!! Nice idea.

Sawdust Girl March 15, 2010 at 11:20 PM  

I'm so excited to follow your blog and see what new ideas you send my way. I love the birds nest. I'm working on a playhouse in our playroom and want to do some sort of tree next to it. It would be so cute to make a real branch with this in it. Thanks.
http://sawdustandpaperscraps.blogspot.com/

Megan @ Megity's Handmade March 15, 2010 at 11:22 PM  

Cute! These are adorable! I'm going to mark this post so I can remember it. Perfect little springy project.

Megan @ Megity's Handmade March 15, 2010 at 11:23 PM  

BTW, do you have a pattern for the birds?

Kaysi March 15, 2010 at 11:25 PM  

That is super cute!! What a great idea, love it!

The No Money Mama March 17, 2010 at 8:49 AM  

I love this! What a great gift for your daughter, and it is special because you made it yourself.

Julie March 19, 2010 at 9:52 AM  

I love this idea. What a great way to play! Thanks for sharing with Made it Monday! Jules

Christy March 26, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

So I actually made two of these, for my 2 youngest daughters. Yours turned out much cuter. Thanks so much for the idea! I posted a link to your blog so everyone can see how they are SUPPOSED to look.

Hancock June 22, 2010 at 11:19 AM  

oh my I luuuurve the birdies! new follower from lucky linky tuesday :-)

Jennifer July 29, 2010 at 3:09 PM  

These are so cute! I'm doing a bird-themed wedding, and I think something like this would be perfect in one of my centerpieces. Thanks for the inspiration!

Ali's Creations August 21, 2010 at 9:58 PM  

this will look great in my bird themed craft room!

Related Posts with Thumbnails