Monday, December 20, 2010

Chalkboard Clothesline Christmas Card Display

IMG_9947.JPG

Like many of you, I love receiving Christmas cards. But a few weeks into the holiday season I start to get more and more annoyed as they repeatedly slide down or go flying off of the refrigerator door every time that I open or close it. True, the problem is me and my desire to display them on the fridge, not the cards themselves. So I found a fabulous solution that was easy and inexpensive, a Chalkboard Clothesline Christmas Card Display. :)

IMG_9960.JPG

This is a bit reminiscent of my craft room clothesline photo display from this summer.

IMG_5112.JPG

I got this large frame back in the summer at the thrift store, and when I walked up to it I immediately thought to myself, Chalkboard! It's huge (42" by 33") and perfect for such a task. Once I got it home, I realized that it is an old Kirkland's sign. Pretty cool, huh? No wonder the frame was a bit ornate, and it was only $2.50!!! No way I could pass it up. It has been sitting in the garage ever since waiting for me to decide on a final destination for it, and I finally did.

IMG_9303.JPG

I took the cardboard out of the frame and painted it with a coat of chalkboard paint. Then I hot glued some cotton twine in 2 rows on the back of the cardboard and popped it back into the frame.

IMG_9312.JPG

I made this little pendant banner for that in-between time, when Christmas season has already started, but there aren't quite enough cards to fill up the frame. I wanted to keep it from looking too sparse in the beginning.

IMG_9970.JPG

I also stamped some little Christmas symbols on the backs of a few of the flags as a shorter alternative to the Merry Christmas message.

IMG_9951.JPG

Of course I hung each little flag (and card) with my favorite teeny tiny wooden clothespins, which you can get at any craft store.

IMG_9957.JPG

And that's it! I love how the frame and the black background look against my walls, and that it makes a perfect and neutral matting for a variety of seasonal pictures and well wishes!

You may want to switch this out for a larger piece of art or something that is normally on your wall, as it has to be on the big side to adequately hold a bunch of cards. I personally decided that this frame needs a permanent presence in my kitchen, and it will have to evolve seasonally as it is the only thing that's big enough to work on this long blank wall beside my table. I may just remove the clotheslines and use the chalkboard.

IMG_9959.JPG

Which also means that I'm saying goodbye to my Barn Wood Wall Art, and selling in my etsy shop. Check it out here if you're interested.

IMG_5009.JPG

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!!!


E1025F317CFB5B8E9E5C526E5CC0F475 copy.png

15 comments:

Sassy Sites! December 20, 2010 at 8:47 AM  

I featured you today over at Sassy Sites! Come on by and check it out! Don't forget to grab a "fEatured BuTton"!! :) Happy Monday!

xoxo!
Marni @ Sassy Sites!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys December 20, 2010 at 9:23 AM  

I love the Christmas banner! I wonder if I still have time to make that?!

Where did you get the mini clothes pins?

Casey R December 20, 2010 at 9:38 AM  

Love this idea! I'm totally going to have to do one!!

Found you from The Girl Creative linky party :)

orneryswife December 20, 2010 at 10:21 AM  

For an even more festive look, you could add glitter to those little clothes pins! Get some terrifically-tacky tape, cut to size along one side of the clothespin, then dip it in superfine glitter. Tap off the excess, and they make simply adorable little clips!

Love the chalkboard idea. I will be on the lookout for a frame to do that with for next year!
tm

silly eagle books December 20, 2010 at 10:32 AM  

I love how the frame consolidates the mass of cards and gives them some extra artistic presence--love this idea. I'll be doing it next year. Thanks!

The Autocrat: Haley December 20, 2010 at 2:21 PM  

Great idea on adding the banner! Bare space is on of the reasons why I don't like card displays. Thanks for the inspiration, might have to come up with something!

Tiffany December 20, 2010 at 4:22 PM  

Love the little banner! So perfectly adorable. And the Christmas cards look great hanging on the line!

ArtfullyJune December 20, 2010 at 9:16 PM  

What a great frame for only $2.50. Hopefully one day I'll find something similar for a great price so I can make one too.

Jana December 20, 2010 at 9:58 PM  

Looks great!!

Jennifer B. - Kids On The Grand December 21, 2010 at 7:51 AM  

Oh, I'm loving the mini clothespins!

Patrice December 21, 2010 at 1:43 PM  

I have been dying to paint something with Chalkboard paint! I LOVE this.

Scary Mommy December 21, 2010 at 8:26 PM  

Love these! You have me totally inspired.

chris December 21, 2010 at 10:39 PM  

Love this idea. What a great thing that could be used year-round. Thank you for sharing. Merry Christmas!

goddessof4 December 23, 2010 at 7:48 PM  

What a great idea!!!! It turned out great!!!!

Anestazia January 7, 2011 at 11:25 AM  

Hey there! I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed your project and I decided to feature it on my blog tomorrow! Don't forget to swing by and check it out!

Anestazia <3
http://yourworkistodiscoveryourworld.blogspot.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails