Monday, June 21, 2010

New and Easy Displays for Old Trays

I had a few trays around the house that I loved but were really under-appreciated in their old location, on top of the cupboards, so I really wanted to put them somewhere a bit more prominent. But with a grabby toddler running around I've learned that I can't really put up any fun sort of fun displays that he won't get into, so instead I went for this.

IMG_3461.jpg

My first tray has a fun pattern on the bottom that I didn't want to cover, so I made a little wreath and hung it from the tray's handle.

IMG_3463.jpg

It was a fun way to frame the wreath without putting it in a frame, which is how a few of the other wreaths are displayed around my house. (I just think it looks so cute that way!) I was trying to do something that was slightly different, so I guess that is as far as I got, slightly different. Oh well, I still like it. :)

IMG_3447 2.jpg

For my other tray, I have always loved when people have those "Eat" signs in their kitchens, but I never found a little piece of wood or a space for it that seemed like it would work. But as soon as I thought of putting the word on a tray, I knew I had to do it.

IMG_3413.JPG

I painted the bottom a whitewashed white, and then used my tried and true pencil transfer method. I printed out the word in the size I wanted, outlined the back with pencil, put it on the tray where I wanted it and then rubbed over the front of the letters with a lead-less pencil.

IMG_3415.JPG

It transferred the letters perfectly (can you see the light outline?), and I filled them in with black acrylic paint.

IMG_3416.JPG

IMG_3421.JPG

I sanded over the letters and background a bit just to give it a broken in look, wiped over it with a light coat of stain, and then wiped off the excess.

IMG_3454.JPG

I think they both turned out just right. They're a fun little addition to that corner of my kitchen, and re-purposing them from other areas of the house made the price just right.

IMG_3457.jpg

They also are a great compliment to my newly re-finished blue chair.

IMG_3487.jpg

Can you guess where my new favorite little corner is?

I have a few other tray projects that didn't get completely finished this week, so please come back next week to see a few other ideas. I am going absolutely crazy over one of them, I can't wait to show it off!

Have an amazing week and check out these parties for some great summertime projects!


Visit thecsiproject.com


E1025F317CFB5B8E9E5C526E5CC0F475.png

51 comments:

Busy as a Bee in Paris June 21, 2010 at 6:05 AM  

love it! gonna have to try the eat sign!

Tonia @Chic Modern Vintage June 21, 2010 at 6:13 AM  

I like the idea. Especially if you have a few to display together.

Tiffany June 21, 2010 at 7:23 AM  

LOVE these displays on your wall! The Eat sign is absolutely perfect! I want one seriously. The wreath was a great touch to that neat tray! And the blue chair just compliments it all! Well done, Erin! : )

Jill June 21, 2010 at 8:25 AM  

Love it! I've been wanting an EAT too!

handbags*n*pigtails June 21, 2010 at 8:30 AM  

I love this idea! Just linked it up to my blog-I hope that was Ok. LOVE your ideas:)
Sarah
handbagsnpigtails.blogspot.com

tickledpink.nicole June 21, 2010 at 8:37 AM  

I can see why this is becoming your favorite corner! What did you use to mount the trays?

Pearl Girl June 21, 2010 at 9:51 AM  

I just love this idea! thanks for sharing. I saw you on the link parties today.
I am right here if you have a chance to stop by.
beckyscraftcloset.blogspot.com

Nikki June 21, 2010 at 9:57 AM  

Very clever and cute!

blogofncook.blogspot.com

The Autocrat: Haley June 21, 2010 at 10:18 AM  

What a great repurpose!! Looks fabuous! Especially love the one that says "eat".

Kristi Flanagan June 21, 2010 at 10:34 AM  

Especially love the "eat" tray - not that I need to be reminded to eat! LOL!

Cute, cute, cute!

Kristi
Punkin Seed Productions

Mel P June 21, 2010 at 11:18 AM  

I love this idea! I just read somewhere that if you love something enough to keep it, you should have it on display (I'm paraphrasing). This is a great way to appreciate your trays every day!

Jill June 21, 2010 at 12:21 PM  

Aren't trays the greatest?! I'd love if you checked out what I did with a tray last week: envirocraftiness.blogspot.com

~JILL

fiberdoodles June 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM  

Oh I love it! It looks great!! Thank you for sharing.

Amy June 21, 2010 at 1:24 PM  

How perfect! I love your nook! Very clever using trays on the walls.

Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! June 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM  

What fun ways to use things you already have and love in your home! Thanks for showing this to us on Modern Craftswoman Monday! Rory

Pam June 21, 2010 at 2:39 PM  

I love the wreath/tray combination. Very pretty. I had never thought of hanging my trays before!

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com June 21, 2010 at 2:58 PM  

Those are fabulous!

Jen June 21, 2010 at 3:04 PM  

I simply love this idea! I am wanting to do a "eat" sign in my dining room as well, and this is great inspiration!

I wanted to let you know that I awarded you something on my blog. You can accept this award here: http://framefanatic.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-first-blogger-award.html

Kim @ Starshine Chic June 21, 2010 at 3:57 PM  

I love them both!!! I really like the idea of hanging a small wreath inside.

The Polka Dot Closet June 21, 2010 at 8:31 PM  

Great idea, I can never pass up a tray. I paint them and mosaic them, but I have never hung them!

Thank you
Carol

Allison June 21, 2010 at 8:32 PM  

Super cute!

Amy Kinser June 21, 2010 at 9:04 PM  

Very neat ideas! I love the wreath hanging with the tray and I love the "eat" also. I guess I love them both. Great suggestion that I will be trying. Going to help a friend do some decorating tomorrow, so that might be a good idea for her. Thanks and God bless.

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming June 22, 2010 at 12:00 AM  

These are adorable. I love the boxwood wreath tray - it really showcases it! Great idea. Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly apprecite it. Hope you are enjoying your week. ~ Stephanie Lynn

Beth June 22, 2010 at 12:49 AM  

What a GREAT idea!!! Thanks for sharing (found you at Tutorial Tuesdays!)

Jessica June 22, 2010 at 8:09 AM  

Love the "eat" tray!

Destiny June 22, 2010 at 11:07 AM  

I LOVE THIS!! Good Job! Doing this one for sure! I have the perfect tray! Thank you for the inspiration! It's fabulous!

Tiffany June 22, 2010 at 1:28 PM  

I really like this use on the wall. Brilliant - I hope u win over at CSI.

Stephanie@cre8tive June 22, 2010 at 2:39 PM  

I love this idea! Mainly because I love trays. Kind of a fetish actually. Now I have a new way of thinking on where I can put them, grand idea.

Kim June 22, 2010 at 7:21 PM  

What a great idea. They are both so cute.

Orange Peanut June 22, 2010 at 9:38 PM  

Super Cute! I love how simple this seems but yet looks so expensive!!!

Jill June 22, 2010 at 11:04 PM  

Love the tray idea! I've never seen "eat" signs up before - but think it's a brilliant idea!! Maybe psycologically some pretty pictures of green veggies would help my kids eat them up???

ChRiS June 23, 2010 at 7:57 AM  

love it......chair and trays now i have to llok for trays a GW....my list just gets bigger!!

Brandy June 23, 2010 at 8:00 AM  

That is such a great idea, I love it!!

Emily June 23, 2010 at 12:25 PM  

wow, these look great! neat idea!

Maggie June 23, 2010 at 2:34 PM  

I love this. I have yet to tackle the kitchen eating area...this gives me great inspiration!

michelle@somedaycrafts June 23, 2010 at 2:50 PM  

DARLING!

Kaysi June 24, 2010 at 6:50 AM  

Amazing! You all come up with the best ideas!

One Cheap B*tch June 24, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

Love the eat sign! And I'm with you - two grabby little boys so we have to come up with very inventive ways of displaying mommy's knic knacs!

Jeanine

Joy @ Thrifty Parsonage Living June 24, 2010 at 11:40 PM  

Very cute! I love the eat tray and also how you made a little corner display using the blue chair.

Krissy June 25, 2010 at 8:24 AM  

LOVE these!! I'm off to search for some trays!! LOL!

TidyMom June 25, 2010 at 9:54 AM  

I LOVE this idea!! how cute!!
Thanks for linking up!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking June 25, 2010 at 3:26 PM  

What a great way to use trays... I need to keep my eyes open for some. Thanks for linkin' up to PoPP.

Katie June 25, 2010 at 4:27 PM  

LOVE Them! Especially the one with the wreath. And the one that says "EAT." Okay, I admit, I love them both!

KentuckyCooking June 25, 2010 at 11:00 PM  

Stopped by from the I'm Lovin' it Fridays party - following you now :) I'd love for you to stop by my blog and say hello!
http://soupson502.blogspot.com/

Your trays are really adorable - having a hard time deciding which one I like best!

Tru@TRU TALES FEATS June 26, 2010 at 6:51 AM  

Great totorial. Very nice display for a small area.

Tru@TRU TALES FEATS June 26, 2010 at 6:51 AM  

Sorry, TUTORIAL.

La Maison Reid June 26, 2010 at 10:46 AM  

Can wait to try this. Thanks for the tutorial! I have two trays that need some help!
Nancy

Coleen's Corner June 26, 2010 at 12:54 PM  

Oh I love them! I have a tray that has been sitting around forever waiting for a new purpose. I believe you've shed light on my dilemma - awesome!

Lisa June 26, 2010 at 1:06 PM  

These trays turned out beautiful! Love the chair too! Nice idea for old trays in need of a lift!
Lisa

Patrice June 27, 2010 at 4:10 PM  

That looks wonderful. I've never thought of that before!

Hailey September 14, 2010 at 3:46 PM  

Love this! Great job.

Related Posts with Thumbnails