Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tutorials I Tried and Loved

I love to sew.  However, I am a total rookie and have only {sort-of} mastered pillows and skirts.  I do dream of making dresses for my girls like my Momma always did for me though.

There are so many tutorials out there that it can be overwhelming.  I have tried a few recently that I followed successfully and wanted to share them with you.  They are well-written and easy to follow.  Any tutorial where the end result is an adorable dress for my baby girl makes me one happy Momma.

So onesie dresses are the way to go for beginners because the top is already done for you.  Gotta love that.  I followed this pieced jersey dress tutorial from kojo designs.  I used a onesie that was getting too small and a few old t-shirts from my closet to make this fun dress.  So comfy and absolutely adorable.

My stitching is horrible because I had no previous experience sewing on jersey knit and it is no easy task.  It just adds to the character if you ask me!  However, I learned a lot from the experience and can't wait to make another.  


Of course it is way cuter on my little model and we get compliments each and every time she wears it.


The next onesie dress I attempted was from a tutorial called the 10-minute Onesie Dress on Prudent Baby.  I then added a ruffled ribbon around the waist because I love it.

Super great tutorial although it definitely took me longer than 10-minutes because I am crazy.   I am convinced, however, that I could do it in about 15 next time!  : )  It was fun to make and I learned a lot in the process as always.


Again, much better displayed on a sweet baby girl.  I used the ruffled ribbon (from Hobby Lobby) and thin white elastic to create a matching headband too.  Oh, these things make me giddy.  


One extra step I took for each dress was to cut the bottom of the onesie out after it was all sewn together.  This gives more longevity to the dress because you only have to fit it over the head and the length of the onesie no longer matters.  An extra bonus to that is you can add your own fun patterned bloomers to the dress!  

And finally, a girl needs some leggings to go with her dresses in the crazy weather.  So, I bought some $1 knee socks for women at Target and followed the Little Leggies Tutorial on kojo designs.  Who can resist some chubby legs in little leggies?  Not me.  I love them and they are super easy to make!


Hope this helps narrow down the search for a great baby dress tutorial and a great baby legs tutorial for ya!  If I can follow these tutorials successfully, then anyone can!!!  

Happy Friday!


5 comments:

Patrice August 16, 2011 at 8:50 AM  

I have had this tutorial on my list for a while too. I need to just get to it as your results are just so cute. I love the leggies idea too!

Cutebug Designs August 16, 2011 at 5:48 PM  

Very cute!

Suki Lotti August 17, 2011 at 9:26 PM  

I recently just sewed with knits for the first time. I tried to be lazy and not go to the store for a ballpoint needle even though I knew better... fail. :-P But it worked lovely once I had the right needle!

Erin A August 20, 2011 at 1:25 PM  

These are all perfect! Can I just say that I will be attempting each of these as well? Great roundup, I love finding ways to extend the life of onesies. My kids always end up with long torsos so they don't stay in any one size for very long, the cutting out of the bottom is perfect!

I tried that 10 minute dress tutorial too, yours turned out much better, and it took me WAY longer that 10 minutes. :)

Candice September 10, 2011 at 12:16 AM  

I love this idea! It looks simple enough that I might even be able to do this myself. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails